clay pipe in floor drain - clogged, overflowing top and going somewhere else?

Users who are viewing this thread

ajk

Reaction score
I have a floor drain that seemed to be working fine but smells bad and has sewer flies.
The drain is a square basket that's all one piece, so I cut out the grate portion.

What I saw was pretty weird. It seems to be a clay pipe completely clogged, and the water just flows over the top and goes who knows where. There seems to be a metal flange of some sort around the top of the clay pipe. then there's just a half inch gap that I can't really see into.

So its as if the drain basket is just hovering above the pipe and the water is spilling into that hollow and going who knows where.

I'm sure this isn't by design? Seems like this would be a major issue since the drain is used for a laundry machine and sink. I bought the house 3 years ago.

Has anyone seen a setup like this?

photo_2024-03-07_12-56-07.jpg

IMG_4218.jpg

Last edited:

ajk

Reaction score
(updated post with new question after opening drain)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks