A newbie puzzle about "pre-plumb"

Users who are viewing this thread

Luelala

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm a newbie to pluming, I bought a house and the so called "pre plumbed" laundry room looks like this - it's nothing like setup Youtube video told me.
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 1.50.28 AM.png

Before I destroy anything, what do I need to do to see the plastic water line, like the following setup? Or I should ask how do I get the caps off?
Screen Shot 2022-03-10 at 1.54.46 AM.png

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
Is this for a laundry room sink?

You first need to remove the paint and most likely the drain is PVC and the two water lines are CPVC. Those plastic caps are cemented on but the way the pipe is inserted into the pipe out of the wall is a bit unusual. With both type of pipe, the paint will have to be cleaned off. A knife may be all that is needed to scrape it off because if they are the type I suspect, the surface needs to be clean. Using Sharkbite type connectors for the water lines must also be clean and smooth, more so than using cement, however, it is possible the two water lines are PEX and the pipe the caps are glued to would have a clamp at the insert of the wall pipe.

Are there shut off valves to these two water lines such as in the basement? If so it may explain the way it is capped off. The type of pipe of the water lines must be known first as the best way to tackle it. Just do not get two aggressive removing the paint. If the water lines are very flexible, then they are PEX. Look at the bottom of the pipe where it might not have paint, if its red and blue or both are white and flexible, then it is PEX

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Looks like CPVC from the wall with glued caps.
The caps get cut off, and then the 3/4" CPVC gets slid off to reveal the 1/2" from the wall.
They do that to protect it from paint.

Or if that's PEX from the wall, then those would be Sharkbite caps that come off with their U shaped tool, or the inside jaws of a wrench has worked for me too.
So perhaps PEX with 3/4" PEX as a paint shield that gets tossed.

Luelala

Reaction score
Appreciated the information!
It is for laundry sink, and there's shut off valves in my garage so they must be capped off. The water lines are both white and looks like PEX. I will give it a try.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks