A good septic pumper-person?

Users who are viewing this thread

Offbalance

Advanced DIYer
Reaction score
I've read enough on the forums here to know that there are good septic tank pump-out people, and some that are, um, not quite so good. The questions are: a) what does a good one do that the poor ones don't, b) how can I find a good one, and c) how do I check the work when they are complete?

I'm open to nearby referrals, if that is allowed on the forums.

Ken
Snohomish, WA

Wallskev

Reaction score
Well I have had a Great one.....and I think these attributes means they are professional

1. Would tell you you "Don't Need to pump out" and gives an estimate when
2. Will do an Annual Inspection on a schedule without being chased
3. Is careful on the landscape gardens in the tank area
4. Always cleans the filter on the output
5. Always hoses down area and generally cleans up and is environmentally conscious
6. Makes any other recommendations necessary for your conditions at no cost
7. Will take care of digging, filling, maintenance and repair
8 Always will estimate the costs of any extra services :eek:

My tank covers are in a Garden area, with a riser to just above ground level, that we have covered with mulch.

MIne actually 2x has come out on the Inspection, cleaned the filter and said pump Out not necessary.:eek:

Offbalance

Advanced DIYer
Reaction score
Well I have had a Great one.....and I think these attributes means they are professional

. . .

Sounds perfect! And since there's probably no way I could afford to pay his mileage to Seattle, how did you go about finding him in the first place? I'm not in the trades, and don't have many friends with septics, so I'm kind of at a loss to find someone without spending years of trial and error!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would add: doesn't hard-sell the addition of sulphuric acid to septic tank.

Well-known sewer co in NYC area's driver: "And of course we will charge $350 for the chemicals."
Me: "What chemicals?"
Him: "Chemicals that our company has found to be essential to the proper operation of your system. We're really not supposed to do the pump unless you add these chemicals, because otherwise we can't be sure that your system will work right after we leave."
Me: "Really? Okay, what are the names of those chemicals?"
Him: [dramatically, like it's exciting:] "100 PERCENT SULPHURIC ACID!"
Me: "You know this is a septic tank, right?"
Him: "Of course."
Me: "I understand why some people want to put chemicals in their CESSPOOLS to increase the flow, but my understanding is that Sulphuric Acid should never be used in a septic tank."
Him: "Well, it can get to the drain field and help there."
Me: "Huh? You want sulphuric acid in the leaching field?"
Him: "Well, the other thing we can do is AGITATE the septic tank."
Me: "How about you just pump it fully-dry and get all the sludge on the bottom, not just stop with the liquid, and we'll be very happy. Can you do that?"
Him: "Of course. Uh...I'm supposed to try."
Me: "Got it."

I wish I had that on video, because someone would be losing their license.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks