95/5 solder on brass...

Users who are viewing this thread

kevinillinois

Reaction score
I used lead free 95/5 solder with 5% antimony on brass. I realize this is not the correct solder. Do I need to pull these fittings out?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I use 95 -5 most of the time because of the tensile strength especially on TP Brass connecting to Type L or K tubing

The brass pipe has to be really clean and do not use self-cleaning flux

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
What's the problem you're having Kevin? you soldered it , no mention of a leak or problem. if 95-5 is no good what would have been the best choice? even though its all done now

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
95/5 is what we use, or something with 95% tin and the rest something else. I started using 95% tin solder in the 70's.
Fewer leaks, stronger joints, no lead poisoning. All good things.

soldering_kit.jpg

There are several brands of solder I'm using now.

Bridgit®
Description: Lead-free Solder

Lead-free solder widely used in plumbing applications where lead-bearing solders are prohibited. Contains nickel, making joints tremendously strong. Wide range makes Bridgit an excellent alloy for large diameter fittings and ill-fitted or non-concentric pipes. Fills gaps and caps off easily and effectively.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
95/5 is what we use, or something with 95% tin and the rest something else. I started using 95% tin solder in the 70's.
Fewer leaks, stronger joints, no lead poisoning. All good things.

soldering_kit.jpg

There are several brands of solder I'm using now.

Bridgit®
Description: Lead-free Solder

Lead-free solder widely used in plumbing applications where lead-bearing solders are prohibited. Contains nickel, making joints tremendously strong. Wide range makes Bridgit an excellent alloy for large diameter fittings and ill-fitted or non-concentric pipes. Fills gaps and caps off easily and effectively.

Thats My Kit right there Terry works for me! Dont know what the OP's issue was?

kevinillinois

Reaction score
No issues. I had read that antimony could reach with the zinc in brass? but sounds like i am good. no leaks and it has been done for a few weeks now. Maybe it is one of those things that may fail in 100 years.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Kevin nothing I know of special solder on brass. what did your info suggest 50/50? or silver solder brazing? What exactly did you solder together? 100 years I'm good with but 30 not so much. I'm 64 and don't want to be coming back and redoing it when I'm 94!

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The reason I use 95 -5 is the tensile strength is almost 6,000 pounds so when I cut a 2" brass pipe I can hold back on the Flagg Flow TP x M or TP x F adapter with a large wrench and make up a C X M or C x F adapter with no fear of the TP fitting coming to lose. I still keep original TP adapters in stock 1/2" - 3"

NYC we have buildings over 100 years old and Yellow brass is very brittle so rather than play around it is easier to cut the brass pipe clean the pipe and solder OR braze the TP adapter on

95 -5 flows easily and the higher the tin content the stronger the solder joint

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Actually "silver solder brazing" is an erroneous term as soldering is a much lower temperature than brazing and different alloys are used

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks