66 year old hot water heater still working

Users who are viewing this thread

DeWayne Lehman

Reaction score
Hey, what’s the record on a hot water heater lifetime? I had a scare recently with my ancient one. Turned out it just need the pilot re-lit. But it got me thinking about just how old it is. Serial number starts with 55, and modern day company that produced the Rudd-Moel heater confirmed it’s 66 years old. Friends say I should replace it. I’m thinking let’s see how long it will last. Thoughts?

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
In your place ...... I would commence accumulating all the parts needed to install a new heater. That assumes you plan to stay where you are. That way you will be able to do the replacement quickly and avoid the "scramble".
Not having hot water is not fun. Seems that folks do not appreciate a heater until it stops working.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a plumber. The questions I would ask myself are: 1) What is the potential for damage if it lets go? 2) Could you save some money by installing a more efficient unit?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
In the USA the 2005 EPA energy bill redefined gas and electric water heater energy use. Usually the new guidelines rollover to Canada and if the tank is manufactured in the USA, chances are you can get the latest model. Replacement will definitely save on your gas bill but since this energy law kicked in, the manufacture have about doubled the cost. What used to coast maybe $250 USD, is now over $500. For traditional style water heaters the tank insulation was greatly increased.
For a 66 year old tank, mineral deposits is probably holding it together. For gas unit, the bottom of the water heater tanks will build up with deposits and the tank side of the gas flue will get a coating of mineral (hard water) deposits. If you hear a gurgling sound when the burner is on, you have deposits. The mineral deposit also act like an insulator so more heat goes up the chimney than can be absorbed by the water. Damage due to a blow out depends on its location. Water always flow downhill but under pressure it can spray anywhere. If you get a inch or two of water on your living space floor, all walls below 6" will need to be replaced and the flooring will be all toast. Even with tile because water will get under it and may never dry out.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, having a working 66 year old WH is a rarity. Contact Guinness book of records, get it listed in their book, then replace it.
Replacing on your terms, will prevent many potential discomforts and damages, like:
Noises,
Diminished hot water supply capacity,
And worse case scenario - damages from leaks, the kind that cause damages in the thousands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks