6 ceiling fans on 1 switch

Users who are viewing this thread

shawn7718

Reaction score
Hello I'm new here and I had a question about installing 6 ceiling fans on (1) 15 amp switch, I will have a separate 15 amp switch for the lights. This will be on their own 15 amp circuit. Is this doable? Thank you for your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Motors when the turn on can draw a bit more in surge than their rated steady state value, so it would depend on what their normal power rating is.

In some situations, the electrical code requires you derate the maximum draw to 80% on items that may be on for long term. I do not know if those would apply, but that would limit things to 12A or 12*120, or 1440W.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I think you'll find that four fans may be the limit but you do have to factor in the light load. If you set up these fans with 14/3 wire, the white wire shares the load (current) for the fan motors and lights. Though most likely you'll use LED bulbs and may not draw more than 100 watts for all the lights, maybe about 1 amp.

shawn7718

Reaction score
I will also have another 15 amp circuit in the same box so if I need to I can put the ceiling fan lights with the same circuit as the can lights. Thank you everyone for help, I really appreciate it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks