5” well casing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rechrgd

Reaction score
My well was drilled in the early ‘80’s. I was thinking about getting a hand pump for an emergency water source if needed. When measuring where the static level was sitting and shining a light down the well, I noticed what appeared to be 5” pvc pushed into the 6” steel casing that comes to the surface. I thought it was 6” all the way down its 350’ depth. Not sure if I could install the hand pump piping now. I would need to snake a flexible pipe and foot valve down to at least 100’. Is or was 5” casing a standard practice?

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be a PVC liner. How far down does that PVC start? How far down is the pitless adapter.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
5" well casing is very common. But you might still have room to snake in another pipe. It will need to be a straight pipe with a sucker rod like "Bison" I think. You cannot suck water up anymore than about 24' from surface with a pitcher pump. So, you will need a hand pump with a rod that goes to the bottom like a windmill.

Rechrgd

Reaction score
5" well casing is very common. But you might still have room to snake in another pipe. It will need to be a straight pipe with a sucker rod like "Bison" I think. You cannot suck water up anymore than about 24' from surface with a pitcher pump. So, you will need a hand pump with a rod that goes to the bottom like a windmill.
Yes, I’ve done some research on them. I’m now thinking of just having it professionally done and replace the submersible pump at the same time. It’s forty years old And living on borrowed time anyway.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have one that is 43 years old. I don't want to replace it because you can't get pumps like that anymore. Many times the 40 year old one is better than any new one you could purchase. But I agree, you should pull the old pump< might as well replace it, and check everything out before adding a hand pump. BTW, have you ever tried hand pumping from 100' deep? Not that easy.

Rechrgd

Reaction score
I have one that is 43 years old. I don't want to replace it because you can't get pumps like that anymore. Many times the 40 year old one is better than any new one you could purchase. But I agree, you should pull the old pump< might as well replace it, and check everything out before adding a hand pump. BTW, have you ever tried hand pumping from 100' deep? Not that easy.
Ha! The ads for those deep well hand pumps certainly don’t indicate that a 75 year old would have any problem with them. Could they be lying by omission? Anyway, the static level is supposed to have been at 50’, but when I measured it, it was 85’. That was in March. I guess the levels can vary over time and even seasons.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks