4 bolt toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

shalimar

Reaction score
I need to replace a wax ring on a 4 bolt toilet. The floor bolts are very rusty and I am worried that I wont be able to reuse the two front bolts.
I dont want to have to bust the concrete or tile up to remove the remnants of the two front bolts that I am going to have to hacksaw off in order to replace the front two bolts.

Can I take up the 4 bolt toilet replace the ring and whatever else needs replacing such as the flange and then replace the toilet just using the bolts thru the flange and leaving the front bolts out.

It is my understanding that the front two bolts are only for support and that the rear bolts that attach to the flange are all that are neccessary to seal the toilet outlet.

It is a concrete floor with tile and I dont see there being any problems with movement.

I would like to just leave the front two bolts out and maybe silicone up the holes or glue a plastic cap over the holes just to cover the holes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Does this toilet flush well, and you don't keep a plunger nearby? If you leave out the front bolts, some suitable caulking around the base can provide some lateral stability that the front bolts might have contributed.

If you are grabbing the plunger now and then, consider this an opportunity to move to a newer better-flushing toilet. They flush better despite using less water.

Last edited by a moderator:

shalimar

Reaction score
Does this toilet flush well, and you don't keep a plunger nearby? If you leave out the front bolts, some suitable caulking around the base can provide some lateral stability that the front bolts might have contributed.

If you are grabbing the plunger now and then, consider this an opportunity to move to a newer better-flushing toilet. They flush better despite using less water.

Yes. The toilet works well. Think it is a 1946 model with modern flush valve etc... but it works fine. Its in the basement and sees very little use. Mostly in the summer when working outside and coming in to use the bath room in the basement for showering etc.

I guess I could just give it a try. Maybe put some caulk on the rim out front for security.

I am not trying to go the cheap route. I like that toilet. It fits the room and its been here forever. Ive done quite a bit of contemplating and planning while sitting on that thing over the years.

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess I could just give it a try. Maybe put some caulk on the rim out front for security.
Polyseamseal is a good choice for the caulk. Normally you caulk around the whole base except the back -- so that you could detect a leak.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks