300gpm muddy well (video) Please help..

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Because the outside diameter of 5" couplings would need to be machined down to drift through a nominal 6" well. A 5" coupling will fall right a 7" well with no problem, so you can ream the hole to 7". You're not going to be able to drive the pipe through all that debris, so you either drill it out and hope it stays open, or have a casing head machined up and blow through the 5" and hope to push that material back into the cave...

Caleb211

Reaction score
So should I ask that be drill it again because it caved in? Or is this normal and should I just move on with a 85 foot well? Seems shallow

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cleaning that well out could be tough and expensive, but if you really need all that water you might try pumping it to see what happens.

What's your well for? Domestic? Irrigation? Hotel? How much water do need per minute?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Voids and cave ins are some of the biggest problems a driller can face. The drill cuttings will not come to the surface, and he could easily lose any drill pipe he puts down the well. But sometimes wells with voids or caverns can make a lot of water. I would try to see if you can make the well work like it is with some pumping and developing. I would want to move a good distance from that well if you want to drill another well. And you have no guarantee what Mother Nature has put down there. Many times a bird in the hand really is worth two in the bush.

edit;
Sorry Craigpump we posted at the same time, but it looks like we are on the same page

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
NP Cary, I drilled in Ky and know that caves are a pain to deal with, drilling blind, staged cement jobs above n below the cave...... But you're right, they can give up a lot of water.

Caleb211

Reaction score
So if I had him re drill it and then do a 6" liner would that work?

Can someone please explain to me what the right way is? All I have right now is a whole in the ground with 20 feet of casing...

What is a gravel pack etc?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Craigpump said, if you can get the 6" liner to 85' it would at least hold the hole open, but it won't make much difference in the mud unless you could gravel pack, and I don't think you can. I don't think re-drilling is an option with the cave in.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anything is possible, but look at the economics.

If this is a domestic well, I'd put a 20 gpm pump in at 40' and see what happens over the course of a week or so. If it cleans up you're golden. In the meantime you can plan your next move.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks