3 wire pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
i am going to run wires just in case I decide to scrap the shallow well pump and go submersible. If I go with a 3 wire, does that mean 3 wires PLUS a ground (4 wires total)? Or does it mean 3 wires TOTAL?

Reach4

Reaction score
3 wire means 4 wires total.

There is little reason to use a 1/2 HP 3 wire pump unless you plan on powering it with a generator or solar. The 2-wire takes a little more power during start-up but not after the first seconds. With commercial power, the simplicity of not having a control box usually makes people choose 2 wire pumps for 3/4 HP or less.

With a 1/2 HP pump at 120 vac, you can go 100 ft (round trip to the main breaker panel) with #14, or 160 ft with #12. These numbers build in some margin for the wires.

If the pump is 240, then you can go 400 ft with #14 and 650 ft with #12. So 240 lets you use lighter wire or go farther.

If you put in a submersible, you could tee off to a yard hydrant on the way to the house. Just an option to consider that you would not have with a suction pump. If you use a submersible, use a flow inducer sleeve. That routes the incoming water past the motor to keep the motor cooled.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks