3/4 right to shower faucet valve or 1/2?

Users who are viewing this thread

OLS G

Reaction score
Long time browser of this forum over the years, first time posting!

We built a new addition in 2017, added over 1000sq ft.
Due to budget restraints and my decent DIY talents I've been doing the finishing, (install of doors, hardwood, full kitchen, landscaping, decks, etc.... However the master bath is just getting started now.

Our contractor's plumber installed 3/4 copper from the old city supply line (which is 3/4) to the new section of the home, branching off for the existing rooms .
Master bath has hot and cold 3/4 copper capped at the bottom of my shower wall.
MY QUESTION....
Should I transition to 1/2 copper at that point or run the 3/4 copper 3ft up and connect directly to the faucet? (delta faucet solder connection is 1/2 so at one point I'm going to have to reduce the pipe)

Will the few feet of 1/2 copper make any difference in water pressure?

Shower will have rain shower and handheld shower on a slide bar, no wall sprays.

Thank you.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1/2" works fine for any Delta tub/shower faucet.
The reason to run 3/4" out is because of the toilet which can lower pressure in the shower when it's flushed. Running 1/2" to the toilet off the 3/4" is a good idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks