2005 Culligan Medallist 8" Issues City Water

Users who are viewing this thread

hamburgerhelper

Reaction score
Got a 2005 Culligan Medallist 8" softener (think this link to pdf manual is for it) that came with our house, hooked up to city water, think it's giving me issues. Few months back we were having intermittent loss of water pressure for maybe a 3 week period, only hot water though, but it'd only be low for maybe a minute or so, then come back to normal pressure. Neighbors said they also had same issues, figured it was the municipal water. Issue went away and about the same time, a neighbor said their issue was their water softener; don't know how they came to that conclusion.

Here I am about 4 months later, telling my wife she's forgetting to put dishwasher detergent in with the dishes or not enough or something... and happen to hear water running sound from utility room. Culligan softener is showing E1 error. Do some search-foo, stuck valve or motor. Unplug the controller, tappy tap tap on some stuff, plug it back in, apparently the time save feature is shot since the clock reset and according to the manual, went to do an immediate regen. Motor works, valve stroked, seems like it was working. Brine tank seems to have way too much water in it, about half full of salt and water is at same level, not sure how it got that full. Also concerning, top layer of salt was dirty. Thought it was mold, but after a closer look seemed like it was just crud Anyway, seemed to be working, let it chooch, didn't stay up to watch!

Wake up, turn on the shower, and surprise, low water pressure! I decide to try the shower anyway, and as I'm standing there with a trickle of water cursing, notice that water pressure is slowly increasing. 2/3 the way through, she's back to normal.

So... this thing is from 2005. We have city water (link to city water report website). Do I try and fix this thing? Is it worth it? Is this some dated, but high-end back then softener worth keeping/servicing? Or do I just replace it with a $400 big-box-store softener? I did a "chat" with Culligan simply asking for service options, the chat "person" said they couldn't help, someone would call later.

Thanks for the opinions!

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a 2005 Culligan Medallist 8" softener (think this link to pdf manual is for it) that came with our house, hooked up to city water, think it's giving me issues. Few months back we were having intermittent loss of water pressure for maybe a 3 week period, only hot water though, but it'd only be low for maybe a minute or so, then come back to normal pressure. Neighbors said they also had same issues, figured it was the municipal water. Issue went away and about the same time, a neighbor said their issue was their water softener; don't know how they came to that conclusion.

Here I am about 4 months later, telling my wife she's forgetting to put dishwasher detergent in with the dishes or not enough or something... and happen to hear water running sound from utility room. Culligan softener is showing E1 error. Do some search-foo, stuck valve or motor. Unplug the controller, tappy tap tap on some stuff, plug it back in, apparently the time save feature is shot since the clock reset and according to the manual, went to do an immediate regen. Motor works, valve stroked, seems like it was working. Brine tank seems to have way too much water in it, about half full of salt and water is at same level, not sure how it got that full. Also concerning, top layer of salt was dirty. Thought it was mold, but after a closer look seemed like it was just crud Anyway, seemed to be working, let it chooch, didn't stay up to watch!

Wake up, turn on the shower, and surprise, low water pressure! I decide to try the shower anyway, and as I'm standing there with a trickle of water cursing, notice that water pressure is slowly increasing. 2/3 the way through, she's back to normal.

So... this thing is from 2005. We have city water (link to city water report website). Do I try and fix this thing? Is it worth it? Is this some dated, but high-end back then softener worth keeping/servicing? Or do I just replace it with a $400 big-box-store softener? I did a "chat" with Culligan simply asking for service options, the chat "person" said they couldn't help, someone would call later.

Thanks for the opinions!
"C" units are proprietary. Only they can provide parts or service. You might try calling a local treatment expert who installs non-proprietary brands, such as Clack or Fleck. These valves are industry standard. Big box store units and online sellers are not recommended for numerous reasons discussed in a recent thread (posted by Bannerman).

hamburgerhelper

Reaction score
Thanks @water pro I'll have a look at the post by @Bannerman
Do you know approximately what one would pay to have a Clack or Fleck system that's similar to what I've currently got? $1000? $2000? Surely nowhere near a big-box softener at $400...

hamburgerhelper

Reaction score
Well... Mr. Culligan came by this morning with his special water briefcase. Says the resin and brine tank are old, unknown old. The valve/controls were updated from dials to the electronic in 2005. He couldn't find any older records for work done at our address, so I presume the resin tank is 16yr old MINIMUM. He quoted me a 10in HE series for $2,680 to install and remove the old. That looks to be a 1.5 cubic tank whereas currently the 8in medallist is 0.7 cubic and he said with a family of 5 probably need at least 1.0 cubic feet. The 9" HE unit is $2,580 for install/remove. 10yr warranty on tanks/valves/controls, boasted a lifetime warranty on the resin.

Called 2 other local water treatment places.
One recommended an ECR3702R40 unit (10x47 tank) for $3,050 including install/remove. 5yr warranty on all parts and labor, including the resin. The other place I called recommended a Hydrotech HT89UF-100 30k unit with a 1.0 cubic tank including install/remove. 10yr warranty on parts/labor, no resin warranty for $1,950. Seems as though maybe I ought to get a quote on the HT89UF-150 45k unit with 1.5 cubic resin.

Finally, looks like an AOSmith AO-WHSOFT-400T with 1.25 cubic feet would set me back about $401, perhaps I should buy 4 of them and be set for a while and still less than the other choices?!

I will say, the Culligan seems about in-line with the other 2 which surprises me. My existing 8" medallist has lasted 16yr minimum... So with that said, for the same money, will I get even MORE life out of one of the others... or less?

Any thoughts? Family of 5 (3 young ones, they only get bigger and shower more I hear). 30k unit at 0.7 cubic resin is what I've had, do I need 1.5 cubic resin, 1.0?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks