2-inch packer jet and tailpipe setup

Users who are viewing this thread

kint.FOOP

Reaction score
Hello, All! Thanks in advance for your advice!

I am planning to convert a 2-inch pvc well from air lift to a packer jet system. My well is 71.5ft deep and water is at 45.5ft. I do not know how much water the well produces and do not need it to be fast as I pump to above-ground storage. For now, I will just be happy just to lift water to my above-ground 1800-gallon storage tank. I am concerned, for perhaps no reason, that the well may not be a fast producer so the idea of a tailpipe resonates with me. I understand that I will need to restrict output flow somewhat with a ball-valve in order to prevent loosing prime. Presumably I will have some ability to restrict output in this way as well.

I plan to use a 1/2hp Goulds J5 on a AWJ2 packer adapter with a FP2B-31 packer and 1-1/4" schedule-80 inlet pipe with the special turned couplings. The packer would be set at 50.5ft which, according to the Goulds documentation, should yield ~7.6GPM. I don't have room in the bottom of the well for the full 34ft tailpipe but I could drop a 15-ft tailpipe which would cut production 30% before sucking air. That puts the inlet about 6ft above the bottom of the well.

Does this sould like a reasonable plan? Would you do it differently? Should I install a foot valve at the bottom of the tailpipe or just a strainer? I like the fact that this also puts me lower in case the water level drops but will it still work if the static water level gets below the packer? 15-years ago I was calling the static water level 30ft, so either I measured wrong back then, do not recall correctly, or the static level may be dropping 1ft/year. Lastly, does anyone know what size tailpipe fitting is on that FP2B-31 packer?

Thanks again!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would not run a tail pipe that close to the bottom. If it doesn't suck up debris now, it will when the sediment in the well fills in a couple more inches. Just put a ball valve on the discharge of the pump as you can restrict it to as little as 1 GPM without hurting the pump. 1 GPM is 1440 gallons a day. Just don't want it sucking air.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Instead of a ball valve for flow restrictor a globe valve will maintain a consistent flow. In the bottom out the top. Might also think about a timer for the pump. X run time and X off time
If you think the pump would run dry and eat the shaft seal.

kint.FOOP

Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply, I didn't get a reply notification via email.

Thanks for the advice. It didn't work out as the the packer would not hold prime below 22ft. Presumably there is a problem with my well casing at 22ft.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks