New 2" casing Goulds packer valve and footer below, can't prime, doesn't hold water

Users who are viewing this thread

GuruKid

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As a follow up to this thread https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/replaced-drop-pipe-new-motor-low-yield.98464/ we actually went to a well supply shop and got a 1 1/4" male/female PVC which worked great, except we'd lose prime on heavy water usage. What we later found out, after inspecting the previous piping, was that there was a packer valve on the bottom before the foot valve, so we purchased the packer from our well supply and installed it, now the pipe isn't holding water, so we can't prime the pump.

Our layout is, pump -> pvc downpipe -> packer valve -> footer valve. Before installation I tested the package and to see if it held water by pouring water in it, it just leaked out. I flipped it over and tested it, and it did not leak, however the packer was upside down. Our well is exactly the same as this diagram

index.php

Did we miss something on the installed? Is there something we're supposed to have done to the packer before installing?

Thanks,

GuruKid

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I read over those threads and the only thing that sticks out to us is that we did not soak the leathers ahead of time. Is it normal for check valves to leak as described in my first post? If so, how is filling up the drop pipe accomplished?

Thanks,

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I read over those threads and the only thing that sticks out to us is that we did not soak the leathers ahead of time. Is it normal for check valves to leak as described in my first post? If so, how is filling up the drop pipe accomplished?
Was the check valve new? You replaced the center pipe. Maybe your previous posts would say.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Soaking the leathers is important. They can't swell when they get wet if they are already stuffed in an enclosure. It is either the foot valve not holding, a hole in the casing, or the leathers are not sealing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks