120V outlet in line to 240V heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

Widgit Maker

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a hard-wired infrared patio heater soon.
Suggest you run a 3-wire cable with ground to a six space sub panel. I would use 10-3 and 30 amp double breakers. One in main panel and one in sub panel. Out of sub panel a 20 amp double breaker for heater and 12-2 cable. A single 20 amp breaker 12-2 to GFI receptacle. If exterior receptacle you may need rain proof cover. Keep ground and neutral separate in sub panel. If separate building you will need an additional ground rod, if same building you will not.

borisf

Reaction score
Thanks for the great discussion everyone. I will wire this normally -- with separate runs for the heater and the outlet -- as I was planning on doing until I had this wacky idea.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
According to NEC all circuits must must have the neutral for that one circuit and not combined with 2 or more circuits.
How in the world can you so vehemently say this when it is so completely untrue??

According to the NEC huh? SO you read this for yourself and can quote the section?

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Not common so your inspector may give you grief.
Why do folks so regularly use this BS line??
So you are suggesting that something that is absolutely code legal, but not very common, can somehow be rejected by an inspector simply based on the fact that maybe he hasn't seen it done???

You would need to pigtail the neutral wire at the receptacle as this would be a MWBC. A multi-wire branch circuit requires that the neutral not go through a device.
Actually the neutral would terminate at the 120V receptacle only. The 240V heater will not use a neutral.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Having reviewed this thread before realizing it was resurrected only by spam, I see that the OP's question was never definitively answered. The wiring arrangement shown is perfectly fine, but NEC 210.23(A) puts a limit on the size of the heater when the branch circuit has multiple loads or receptacles.

If the infrared heater is fastened in place, then it is limited to 50% of the branch circuit rating per 210.23(A)(2). That is, 10A for a 20A circuit, so the heater would be limited to a 2400W rating. If the heater is not fastened in place (say, a free standing portable heater with a cord and plug) then per 210.23(A)(1) the limit is 80% of the branch circuit rating, or 16A / 3,840W.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks