120/240 step up

Users who are viewing this thread

Poncho

dumb...but...try'n!
Reaction score
So, if ya step 120 V to 240 v to charge yo lect ride, will ya not use the sammo juice, just git faster charge? I'm jus say'n...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All things being equal, double the voltage, you will double the power. This is if you keep the amps the same. Most EVs are both current and power limited. For example, my BMW i3 can handle a maximum of 7400W, so depending on the voltage applied, that's somewhere near 30A at 240vac. You won't get 30A on a typical 120vac circuit, though. So, it depends on what you're starting with, and in the case of an EV, what the capacity of the EVSE you hook up. While an EV won't try to pull more than the EVSE says it has via its signaling line, it's both the circuit it's plugged into and the device itself that determines the maximum available. It is up to the installer to make sure that the EVSE is installed properly (if hard-wired), or the plug involved, if you plug it in. If you had say a dryer circuit with a 50A plug, but only had it on a 30A circuit, you could end up popping the breaker if you had an EVSE that is capable of more than that (keep in mind the 80% rule that applies to this type of device).

So, to simplify...240vac can charge your EV faster, but might not, depending on your setup.

Note, not all EVSEs will work properly on both 120/240vac...the internal power supply and power contactor's coil may not like 240vac.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks