1 inch line Vs 3/4 inch line off of 3/4 meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
We have a project at our Condo Association.
We have a 3/4 Street meter.
We are splitting the water that goes into a duplex. Now each Unit in the duplex will get their own feed in parallel as opposed to a linear circuit. We are thinking about putting in submeters inline but the submeter only comes in 3/4 size.

The option sizes for replacing the outside line going into the Unit are 3/4 and inch and 1 inch.
Is it going to make that much of a difference if we go with 3/4 inch on the pipe replacement, considering the limiting factor is the street meter which is 3/4 inch anyway?

Attachments

• plumbing_diagrams.png
    plumbing_diagrams.png
    175 KB · Views: 701

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 3/4" meter will feed four bathrooms.
A 3/4" water service will feed a one bathroom home. If you're supplying more than one bathroom, you will want the equivalent of 1" copper or poly pipe.
For a two and three bath home, a 1" copper or poly service.
For a four bath home, a 1-1/4" copper or poly service.

1" PEX is smaller that copper, so many cities want to see a 1-1/4" PEX supply line from the water meter for a three bath home.

In Washington the fixture units are:
Toilet 2.5
Bath tub, 4.0
Lav, 1.0

Total 7.5 fixture units for a bathroom.
For a single bathroom, 3/4" on the cold, and 1/2" for the hot.

Washer, 4.0
Kitchen sink, 1.5
Dishwasher, 1.5
Hosebib, 2.5
Each additional hosebib, 1.0

I would use a 1" service line to each unit even with the 3/4" meter.

pipe_size_2.jpg

For PEX

ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 3/4" meter will feed four bathrooms.
A 3/4" water service will feed a one bathroom home. If you're supplying more than one bathroom, you will want the equivalent of 1" copper or poly pipe.
For a two and three bath home, a 1" copper or poly service.
For a four bath home, a 1-1/4" copper or poly service.

1" PEX is smaller that copper, so many cities want to see a 1-1/4" PEX supply line from the water meter for a three bath home.

In Washington the fixture units are:
Toilet 2.5
Bath tub, 4.0
Lav, 1.0

Total 7.5 fixture units for a bathroom.
For a single bathroom, 3/4" on the cold, and 1/2" for the hot.

Washer, 4.0
Kitchen sink, 1.5
Dishwasher, 1.5
Hosebib, 2.5
Each additional hosebib, 1.0

I would use a 1" service line to each unit even with the 3/4" meter.

pipe_size_2.jpg

For PEX

ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Agree with 1 inch to each unit unless its so short 5 or 10 feet . but what are you tring to save ? One inch line to unit then a shutoff at the unit perhaps a regulater if needed and then run pipe accordingly to proper sizing practice. BTW the 3/4 meter does not mean its a waste to run 1 inch its not the case at all and is incorrect .

Wombat

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. :):)The only reason I am considering less than One inch is because the submeter system we were consider Maing is 3/4 inch.
This section is only from in front of the Units not the section from the Meter to in front of the Unit. I will talk to the plumber about this. Maybe they can just squeeze the 3/4 meter into the once inline somehow?

I am in total agreement that one inch is better but it is a relatively short length. For some Units it will only be a few feet but for the other Units it will be around 20 feet. I will try to find a different sub-metering system because I don't want to be "Locked" into 3/4 inch. Maybe someday they will upgrade the 3/4 inch City meters to One inch.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. :):)The only reason I am considering less than One inch is because the submeter system we were consider Maing is 3/4 inch.
This section is only from in front of the Units not the section from the Meter to in front of the Unit. I will talk to the plumber about this. Maybe they can just squeeze the 3/4 meter into the once inline somehow?

I am in total agreement that one inch is better but it is a relatively short length. For some Units it will only be a few feet but for the other Units it will be around 20 feet. I will try to find a different sub-metering system because I don't want to be "Locked" into 3/4 inch. Maybe someday they will upgrade the 3/4 inch City meters to One inch.
1. Pressure drops add. It's not the case that the most restrictive thing sets the flow rate.

2. Cities usually charge extra each month for a 1 inch meter. Sometimes a little. Sometimes it is significant. https://cvwd.com/water-rates was just the first one I came across.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. Pressure drops add. It's not the case that the most restrictive thing sets the flow rate.

2. Cities usually charge extra each month for a 1 inch meter. Sometimes a little. Sometimes it is significant. https://cvwd.com/water-rates was just the first one I came across.

Good info ! my brother lives there 60 miles west of me .. kind of a ripoff id be leaving my condo on a 3/4 meter thank you very much

Wombat

Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies.:):)
It helped me go back to the "Submeter Company" for more info and straighten this out!
After contacting the sub-metering company and explaining my desire to stay with the One Inch sub-meter, they explained that there was never any "Problem" with going with one inch. Even though the company "New Century" which has the "superior software" only sells a 3/4 inch submeter, we can employ any manufacturer's "suitable" One inch Sub-meter with their software.

If only they had told me this in the first place!:(
I agree that "One inch Meters" are a ripoff. We would not be using any more water then with 3/4 but only getting better water pressure for those very infrequent times we take a shower. Even more of a ripoff is the City/County charging 10K for a new meter even if we just splitting the original service at the street. Once again Thank You everybody!:):)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea rippoff. 3/4 meter 1 inch pipe way to go. pretty typical for the line after meter to be same size or larger. unless your pressure is real low no need paying more for a bigger meter just my opinion

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks