1/2" Pipework!!

Users who are viewing this thread

246epa

Reaction score
The pipework in our small single storey house, with basement, comes from the well pump/ expansion vessel in 1" & directly goes to 1/2", into the softener & out again & everywhere else in 1/2".
I am fitting a new softener & in the near future putting in an electric hot water cylinder.
Am I correct in assuming that I should run everything in 3/4", to & from the softener & just teeing off in 1/2" to the fixtures.
It's not a massive house, 40 x 20, with most of the plumbing in the middle of the house & only 1 bathroom.

Many Thanks

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
only 1 bathroom, and I assume only 1 kitchen? 1/2" should be fine for that...the only reason you would want to enlarge the piping system is if you are experiencing flow problems with your existing setup (...which I doubt you are.) or you plan to build an addition to your house that will have a bathroom and/or kitchen in it.

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I usually run 3/4" and then tee off 1/2" at the fixtures. There are flow charts that tells you how many times you can branch of a certain diameter of pipe. My parents house had 1/2" coming out of the water heater and feeding a washing machine, kitchen and bathroom. Well when the the washing machine was being used they would get very little flow out of the shower. That all changed when I ran 3/4 thru out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Filling the tub or washing machine will nearly tap out a 1/2" line, so to have good flow for more than one device, 3/4" would be better. Not sure if it would buy you anything to keep it 1" through the softener, then reduce it. The additional flow might help in regeneration.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks