Search results

1. nbailey

Replacing old water softner system

Well.. I expanded my search and reached out to a few companies to see what their recommendations might be. I sent my water report to give them a chance to do a proper sizing. Their sizing varies: - Fleck 9100SXT 80k (5.0 cu. ft. total) dual tank (160k total); Purolite resin - Fleck 9100SXT 64k...
  2. nbailey

I looked over the hardness compensation information and I have questions. In my first post I mentioned a compensated hardness of 48gpg as I used an article I found online to calculate it (https://help.afwfilters.com/portal/en/kb/articles/water-softener-sizing#What_size_of_softener_do_I_need)...
  3. nbailey

So how does the dual tank system work for sizing capacity? For example, you mentioned 96,000 grain capacity for a single tank above. Should a dual tank system be the same capacity per tank (96,000 grain) or since the tanks are switched between are two lower capacity tanks used (say 2x 48,000...
  4. nbailey

I have attached the report. I don't know too much about the well other than it uses a Goulds J5S pump and when I had to replace the foot valve years ago I seem to remember the lines only went 28ft down. I'm going to try to check today to find out what my GPM is. After the well the system is as...
  5. nbailey

Yeah, I preferably want a system that I can work on myself. That was the one nice thing about the Whirlpool, parts and instructions were readily available. I replaced the motor, gears, seals and it was all fairly straight forward. At the same time.. I had to replace the motor, gears, seals... :)...
  6. nbailey

I am looking for some assistance in finding an appropriate water softner to replace my current aging/failing unit (Whirlpool WHES40) that has been in the house prior to purchase ~15 years ago. A brief description of the system is well water pump with 1" line to a whole house filter. Then a...
  7. nbailey

Help with understanding report and identify needs

I am planning a renovation/addition to my house and part of that process will involve the plumbing. For years there has only been a whole house filter and a Whirlpool water softener, which has done fine at keeping stains out of the tub, but it has seen better days. I want to make sure I replace...
  8. nbailey

Hole in well pump casing

Thanks for your idea. Found a bar clamp with enough reach to get to the hole and clamped it down with a cut piece of rubber. No leak and water operational again! Now just need to order that new pump.
  9. nbailey

Hole in well pump casing

Yeah it's a Goulds J05N Jet pump. The hole is on the motor side of the casing in a flat section.
  10. nbailey

Hole in well pump casing

Wouldn't you know it.. Labor Day weekend and my well pump decided to develop a pinhole in the casing. Heard something odd in the basement and found it shooting out and making a mess. Thankfully must have caught it minutes after it started as there wasn't too much water on the floor but man was...
  11. nbailey

Bathroom Layout - Vent Location

Please bear with me... want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. Updated image attached. 1) So you are saying that the orange section for the waste line can be 2" (shower and lav) and then 3" from the toilet to the drain? 2) The sink needs to be vented directly as well by connecting...
  12. nbailey

Okay so AAV is probably not best as accessibility would end up being an issue. As for the vent layout here is another.. *cough* "drawing" marked with known pipe sizes. So you are saying that the horizontal pipe would need to be bumped up to a 3" pipe. Does that mean that all the vertical vent...
  13. nbailey

I'm a fan of less holes in the roof and my mind keeps wandering... the house already has a vertical vent pipe that penetrates the roof that the rest of the house uses. This new bathroom branches off of it. Can I just use two AAV's on the vents for this bathroom in the attic area above?
  14. nbailey

Yeah, the sink will fall within the 8 feet to the 3in chase vent so I will place another vent at the shower. Another question that branches off of this one then is can I combine the vents before penetrating the roof? The 3" chase line would have to come over to the shower vent due to the way the...
  15. nbailey

Laying out the waste/vent for an upstairs bathroom. The attached picture shows the approximate layout of the room and the waste line location I am planning on using. The 3" drain runs vertically to the bathroom using a chase and then will be branched off. The original plan was to only vent it...
  16. nbailey

Jet Pump can't prime...

All right! Time to sum up my day today. So I pulled the well cap off and lo and behold the piping was poly pipe! That was the first think I was thankful for today. The second was the fact that I only had to pull out 30ft of pipe. Yep, that's right only thirty feet. About 27.5 for each line and...
  17. nbailey

Jet Pump can't prime...

Thanks everyone for your help so far! Pump has been running fine and staying primed but I noticed a pretty significant cycle this morning. After pump shuts off its about 1-2 minutes before pressure drops from 60 to 40 and kicks on again. Sounds like I need to pull the pipes up... Stay tuned I’m...
  18. nbailey

Jet Pump can't prime...

For size reference the pit has an outside diameter of ~4ft.
  19. nbailey

Jet Pump can't prime...

I would like to be prepared if this happens again and I can’t resolve it. I believe my plan would be to replace with a submersible as others have recommended and put in a new line. The only real question I have is about removing the existing pipes. I didn’t get the casing open as it will need...
  20. nbailey

Jet Pump can't prime...

I don’t know what’s going on anymore.. before pulling apart the well head I decided to give the pump another try. Primed it using the handpump on the property and this time i ended up with some air between the pump and pressure tank (I have a clear hose, watch video above to see). Bled it out of...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks