Search results

1. mammoth

Second-floor bathroom connecting to first floor/basement drain. New vent for first floor bathroom?

That’s what I’ll do. It’s an ugly S trap, too. A chiropractor would have a field day.
  2. mammoth

Second-floor bathroom connecting to first floor/basement drain. New vent for first floor bathroom?

Am I also correct in making sure that the second floor tub P-trap drain must join the main drain upstream of the toilet drain? As in, if the tub drain is downstream of the toilet drain (below it instead of above it as in my diagram), couldn’t the toilet when flushing suction the tub P trap...
  3. mammoth

In fact, I could be wrong, but since the AAV is below sink level, and far below the level of the second-floor bathroom, it could fill up and overflow. If I’m thinking correctly. That would be a bad thing.
  4. mammoth

Sorry about that. The upstairs lav drain goes straight over to a T, not slanted down as in the picture. So it’s a P-trap. Yes, the AAV wouldn’t really do anything once the second floor is connected— that’s the problem. Currently the first floor bathroom is by itself and the lav drain connects...
  5. mammoth

Hi, folks. I think I discovered an issue with my (almost finished) new second-floor bathroom. I’m putting a new vent stack in for the second-floor bathroom, but I am taking the drain from that bathroom and sending it down to join an existing drain in the basement. This means that it joins a...
  6. mammoth

Final plumbing, second floor bathroom

From what I’ve read, it seems like I would have a tough time mating and sealing the pipes (especially twisting them properly in time) with PVC cement. So I was going to use this kind of coupling instead. If a Gorilla glue version would be slow enough to allow me to make a better seal than...
  7. mammoth

Final plumbing, second floor bathroom

OK, guys. It’s the final step for my second-floor bathroom. It’s a very old house, circa 1900. I have a bathroom that is roughly 5’ x 8’. One end is the sink and toilet. The other end is the tub. In the wall behind the sink and toilet (which are spaced in their 5 feet width dimensions according...
  8. mammoth

Tub/shower replacement lessons learned

I was lucky in that the hole in the concrete was easy to work with. It was square, about 10 inches by 10 inches. I had to warm and remove the tar that sealed the hole on top of the dirt beneath it, and then warm and put the tar back after I was done to seal it the way it was before. I had to...
  9. mammoth

Replacing tub—keep Tile surround or replace?

I did put some more 2 x 4’s in, thanks! The way the walls are I put them in flat. I did keep the old diverter valve, even though it’s lower than a shower valve (I replaced the tub with a shower, even though the larger drain was challenging). My mom’s budget was pretty tight, so that saved some...
  10. mammoth

I forgot to mention that I was glad I took extreme care when removing the old tile walls, because of the pipes right behind them. In fact, the entire back wall came out as one piece, which I then had to carry outside. Good thing I’m Italian, haha.
  11. mammoth

Hi, guys. Just a couple of notes from a tub/shower and surround wall replacement that I did at my mother’s. For many of you this will probably be old news, but it may help someone who’s new looking at this forum. My mother’s guest tub had a 10 inch long crack in it and was unusable. I offered...
  12. mammoth

Ok—then I’ll pull the drywall to get the tub in and replace the surround. Thanks!
  13. mammoth

(Feel free to skip to the last paragraph if this background information is too much. Brevity is not my strong suit, but sometimes background info gives someone a background detail that I don’t realize is important) Hi, folks. My mother moved into a condo 11 years ago and has never used the...
  14. mammoth

PEX or copper between valve and tub spout

I’m glad I caught this. Shower pressure is a big thing for me. That’s why I’m running three-quarter inch PEX up from the basement to this new second-floor bathroom. I have no problem sweating copper joints, so this is definitely the way to go for me. I have a feeling that the tub spout will be...
  15. mammoth

Plumbing Design for new 2nd floor bath--which one?

Hello all, I'm building a 2nd floor master bath (in empty space, nothing there before, a home from 1900), and I'm designing the drains. Here are pics--they're not totally to scale, but I listed room dimensions. The "Bath-Layout" pic is the actual birds-eye layout. The "Drains-without-sink" pic...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks