Plumbing Design for new 2nd floor bath--which one?

Users who are viewing this thread

mammoth

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm building a 2nd floor master bath (in empty space, nothing there before, a home from 1900), and I'm designing the drains. Here are pics--they're not totally to scale, but I listed room dimensions. The "Bath-Layout" pic is the actual birds-eye layout. The "Drains-without-sink" pic is the whole design from basement to 2nd floor (minus the sink drain, which is in the Option 1 and Option 2 pics).
OK:

1) I have a vertical 3" stack down to the basement and up to the attic. I want to put an AAV in the attic as per the pic, but I want to make it a real one through the roof in the spring (I want warmer weather to work on the roof and make sure I do it right--yeah, a little chicken).

2) I want to tie the drain in the basement into the current drain system at a half-bath drain a plumber put in for me. I want to extend the end cleanout he made and put my own cleanout to replace it.

3) The toilet is vented at the stack--it's 7' from the flange to the stack. (I wanted to vent the toilet from the sink stack behind it, but I can't see how to do that via code. Like, I can't use a closet bend with a sweep for the vent. And I get that, it's fine.)

4) So--the sink drain. I can drain the sink into a wye that I can put in the toilet drain as per the Option 1 pic. I was thinking that any sink water would help move toilet waste along toward the vertical stack. OR, as per the Option 2 pic, I can run the sink drain to the vertical stack itself and connect it either above the toilet sanitary tee or below it, whatever is better (I didn't find or understand a clear answer for this in my searches).

So, Option 1 or 2? Or something else? any comments would be welcome. Thanks!
Dave

Attachments

• Bath-Layout.jpg
    Bath-Layout.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Drains-without-sink.jpg
    Drains-without-sink.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Option-1-sink-drain-into-wye-toilet-drain.jpg
    Option-1-sink-drain-into-wye-toilet-drain.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Option-2-sink-drain-run-to-stack.jpg
    Option-2-sink-drain-run-to-stack.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks