Search results

1. Charp

Camper, replacing Qest with Pex

I have most of it done except a couple things. Every fixture got an angle stop so when something goes wrong at least the whole system doesnt have to be shut off. I'm trying to find a close quarters 90 swivel fitting for the supply line to the outside shower valve. I'm not having much luck and I...
  2. Charp

Moving LPG Water Heater and Clothes Dryer

The water heater is in a back corner of the daylight basement, vented under an operable window and didn't have a propane drain for the basement - I took care of the last one. The water heater is getting moved upstairs into it's own closet with outside access. The dryer will be next to the water...
  3. Charp

Venting Saniflo pump up system

I will soon be installing a SanifloAccess 3 system in my daylight basement. A few years ago when remodeling the room above I had a rare moment of foresight and installed a 1 1/2" or 2" (I need to measure it) vent pipe in the wall and through the roof. My question is about venting the drain pipe...
  4. Charp

1977 house HVAC

Hello, Visiting my son in southern Wisconsin and we were checking out the duct work in the basement. Nothing is insulated and there's lots of leaks. Upstairs is not getting good flow and is uncomfortably warm. It appears that some of the supply for the second story is running up the exterior...
  5. Charp

House wrap

The house was built in 1977. I am going to install fiber cement siding over the existing plywood siding that has homasote under it. I'm debating on whether or not to install house wrap or #15 felt paper or nothing at all. I work on new homes and have never dealt with this before. I have a motto...
  6. Charp

Old Berkeley Pump

This old pump has been supplying river water for my mom's summer cabin since the 1960's. Other than occasional loss of prime, foot valve problems, it was fairly problem free - until last summer. The pump sits under the front edge of the deck about 10' above the river. There's about 50' of...
  7. Charp

Electric toe kick heater - thermostat or switch?

I'm buying a Cadet UC101W 120V toe kick heater for a small bathroom. I want to control it from the standard 3 gang switch box. The box will have light/fart fan/heater. The thermostat control on the unit option that you can get is out since it's down on the floor. A tick tock timer is noisy. My...
  8. Charp

Help, Sunday afternoon and well problem

I changed the pressure switch from an old pumptrol to a merrill, eliminated a receptacle that was wired in a single gang box on the side of the control box. That receptacle was only hot when the pump was running. I didn't realize that the new pressure switch has 3 postions, auto-start-off. The...
  9. Charp

HVAC Wiring

The HVAC unit (LP gas furnace) is made by Bryant around 1990 and was wired with a flat, black insulated wire with two 8 gauge conductors and a small ground. Shouldn't it be wired with 8/3 with ground? I have to remove some decking to access the disconnect box mounted on the wall by the unit to...
  10. Charp

Ground rod, one or more?

With ground rods is more the merrier or does that cause problems? I need to do some digging around the main panel at the street to see what's there and if there's a Ufer down at the house I don't know if I can find it. Is it advisable to add a ground rod at the house if there's already one at...
  11. Charp

Underground conduit and pull-box questions

Can the service conductors, neutral and ground be run in the same conduit? What is the minimum radius for bends in 3" conduit with 4/0 aluminum service conductor? Any pictures or diagram of a pull-box? What keeps the conduits from filling with water? How close to the lid are the conductors...
  12. Charp

Generator-ready subpanel question

My last house had a generator ready Connecticut Electric 200 amp mechanically switched panel and I'd like to install one in our current house. My question is whether it's possible to downsize the main breaker in this type of panel to 100 amps since that is what the main panel is and that's what...
  13. Charp

Wire splicing question

I'm wondering if it's OK to splice the wire that's running from the meter main at the street to the sub-panel in the house? It's underground and it's in the way of some excavation I need to do to get a storage container behind the garage. Eventually I will replace and upgrade the 100amp zinsco...
  14. Charp

Need well water system advice

Thanks for a great forum, I've been doing a little lurking here trying to learn. Our situation is that we had to sell the nice house I built 3 years ago and we bought a 33 year old severe fixer less than half the size. This house has only one bath but will be gaining another soon. When our...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks