Electric toe kick heater - thermostat or switch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
I'm buying a Cadet UC101W 120V toe kick heater for a small bathroom. I want to control it from the standard 3 gang switch box. The box will have light/fart fan/heater. The thermostat control on the unit option that you can get is out since it's down on the floor. A tick tock timer is noisy. My concern with electric timer switches is that there's the option of constant on. I'm not finding a heat only line voltage thermostat to fit a Decora switch plate.
The heater will get brief use in the winter. Do you know of something I can use? Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
.... I'm not finding a heat only line voltage thermostat to fit a Decora switch plate.
There are no thermostats that I know of but here is a 15 amp rated timer in the Decora style. Do use the Cadet built in thermostat as they offer and when in use adjust the thermostat to your comfort. Use this timer or just a toggle switch to bring power to the heater. The thermostat will minimize getting your toes too toastie. There are a lot of timers in the Decora style, just be sure you use one that can handle the current.
aef1ad74-91f9-4127-9ea8-65e219e67667_145.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Intermatic-15-Amp-Digital-In-Wall-Timer-White

From Cadet web site specifications:
Technical Information
UL requires heater to be placed a minimum distance of 6 inches from any inside corner or adjacent surfaces. Cadet does not recommend installing heater in toe kick area directly under sink where a person may stand for an extended length of time due to discharge of hot air. A 3-foot minimum clearance is required for furniture or other objects placed directly in front of heater. Heater must be cleaned every six months minimum.

Last edited:

Charp

Reaction score
I agree. After posting it occurred to me that maybe the cadet built in thermostat would be the way to go. I'm thinking of using this timer switch and getting 2 of them, for heater and fart fan. I like the 30 minute max. That should be plenty of time. Also, no programming! Select the approximate time you want, push the button.

https://www.amazon.com/Enerlites-1-...0IB0ZJXE/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I agree. After posting it occurred to me that maybe the cadet built in thermostat would be the way to go. I'm thinking of using this timer switch and getting 2 of them, for heater and fart fan. I like the 30 minute max. That should be plenty of time. Also, no programming! Select the approximate time you want, push the button.
This particular unit can only handle 800 watts, the heater is 1000 watts. Do the math and it will take 8.34 amps for the heating element plus a tiny more for the fan, maybe a 1/4 amp. I bought this type of timer for my bathroom fans and there are many available with different timer amounts for the buttons. They're real handly. Able to keep the fan on for a while and walk away and not worry about it.

Charp

Reaction score
The listing for the switch was not proofread! Further down in the listing it is correct. I have that brand of switch for an exterior light and on the side of it shows 1800W resistive and 1/2HP motor. So it should be good. Thanks for the heads up though.

I think it's going to be the way to go. If the heater thermostat shuts it off but the switch is still on and someone leaves the bath the switch will take care of it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks