Search results

1. LesP

Gluing DWV test caps

Thanks for the advice, Terry! I swirled ABS glue around the outside of the cookie/pipe joint and that did the trick! But now the threaded test tee caps (shown in reply #17 above) are dripping ever so slightly, even after screwing the caps in as far as I dare go. I did apply teflon tape — do I...
  2. LesP

Gluing DWV test caps

Reach4 - thanks for the suggestion but I don't think cling wrap and rubber bands could hold back the water pressure. Could I put ABS glue or something else around the edge of test cap where the water is spraying out under pressure? Cacher, unfortunately I don't have any test balls and I am an...
  3. LesP

Gluing DWV test caps

Nope, like the picture in reply #9 above...the translucent white knockout caps. They have a thin little gluing surface &/or I didn't use enough glue. There is an ABS tee like in your picture at the end of the line but that is being blocked nicely by a 3" Cherne Clean Seal.
  4. LesP

Gluing DWV test caps

I did a trial water pressure test of my new ABS lines using those white knock-out caps at each of the stub outs. Happily the ABS joints all seem to be holding nicely, but two of the test tee caps were spritzing water where I apparently did not achieve a full seal at the cut edge of the pipe. My...
  5. LesP

Which coupling for 3" PVC to 4" Cast Iron

This is great information, Terry -- thank you. My "vintage" cast iron drain has an O.D. of 4.25" and I'm connecting it to 3" ABS. Would a Fernco 3000-43 be able to ratchet down tight enough? The 4" side of the coupling has an I.D. of 4.42". Alternatively, I could get a 3006-43 made for copper...
  6. LesP

Wet venting plan review

Thanks for the feedback! I concluded that my first plan was indeed wrong. Here is my "new and improved" DWV plan. Top down: My best effort at an isometric: A few questions: - the tub is a 54 gal - 73 gal soaking tub so would it be better to put in a 2" p-trap and arm rather than the...
  7. LesP

Wet venting plan review

Hmmm...no responses. Does that I got it completely right or entirely wrong? :confused: Is there an issue with horizontal wet venting?
  8. LesP

Wet venting plan review

I think this meets UPC code requirements, but just would like to get the official Terry Love thumbs up before I start gluing up! Sorry for my distorted isometric drawing. Here is the top down view of the two back-to-back bathrooms: Key questions: - is the venting correct? - are there...
  9. LesP

Help Needed with DWV plan

Bump-ity bump... I have noticed that many of the typical DWV setups are for horizontal to vertical drain connections. I will have horizontal trap arms for the shower, bath, and toilets joining a horizontal drain line (all sloped appropriately, of course!). Is this okay given that I am trying to...
  10. LesP

Exceptions to horizontal venting under floor?

P.S. Here is the thread describing my current DWV project which is generating these questions: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/help-needed-with-dwv-plan.74335/#post-547460 I would appreciate any and all feedback on my plan...
  11. LesP

Your response gave me a laugh HJ — I can just imagine ribbons all over my plumbing now. So does that mean that the pattern #3 picture in the first message is incorrect? The plumbing vent is “downstream” of where the the waste enters the drain. Compare that to this picture from Taunton’s plumbing...
  12. LesP

I know this is an old thread, but I continue to be baffled by how to vent fixtures that have a horizontal trap entering a horizontal drain. For example a shower or tub on the main floor draining into a horizontal run in the basement. Do you just put a vertical combo on the drain line underneath...
  13. LesP

I have spent more time working on the drain and vent layout and have what I hope is a better approach: The fixture drains will enter the main drain horizontally via a wye or tee-wye. The vents will enter vertically via a 2" x 2" x 1.5" tee-wye and I will combine them above 42" and exit the...
  14. LesP

I would appreciate feedback on my proposed drain and vent layout for two new bathrooms on the main floor. Is it better to have the drain right below the vent wall or angle the drain away from the wall to keep the run as straight as possible. or Also, is it okay to wet vent both toilets...
  15. LesP

Updating old drain riser

Hello again plumbing pros, I am slowly making progress on the basement bathroom and have a new puzzle for you. This is what is left of the 1.5" inch drain riser after removing the obsolete pipe from the old upstairs bathroom. In removing the old galvanized pipe, this portion got a bit mangled...
  16. LesP

Single shower valves have no volume control??

Okay, so I went ahead and ordered the American Standard parts. The Seva trim kit is quite nice -- both the escutcheon and handle are metal and the design is simple and modern. The R128 rough-in valve is extremely hefty, but should the shower outlet port look this ragged? It almost looks...
  17. LesP

You are absolutely right, Jim -- with Delta the cartridge comes with the trim, whereas American Standard includes the cartridge with the rough-in. The Am Std R128 rough-in and cartridge runs about $52 plus whatever trim I select. The Delta rough-in costs about $30 without stops and $42 with...
  18. LesP

Thanks for your response, Jim. There is currently no copper in the entire house (vintage mid-'60s). So I'm pulling out the galvanized water supply pipes and going direct to 100% PEX. I know I can't use PEX for the tub spout, but figured that I could use a brass or steel 90 and nipple there. With...
  19. LesP

Thanks HJ. Unfortunately I couldn't find a Moentrol valve with threaded outlet ports. The American Standard R128 shower valve allows me to avoid soldering. And it has variable, rather than just on-off, volume control. But I'm still trying to determine if American Standard is decent quality. I...
  20. LesP

Like Bleu, I'm also interested in a single lever to control both temperature and volume. I see that I can get that with the American Standard R128 shower valve (for PEX). I'm hesitating, however, because of the mixed reviews on the American Standard brand. Anyone care to comment on whether...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks