Updating old drain riser

Users who are viewing this thread

LesP

Reaction score
Hello again plumbing pros,

I am slowly making progress on the basement bathroom and have a new puzzle for you. This is what is left of the 1.5" inch drain riser after removing the obsolete pipe from the old upstairs bathroom. In removing the old galvanized pipe, this portion got a bit mangled and is now loose in the floor.
IMG_0047.JPG

I am converting to ABS for the upper portion of the new lavatory drain and was originally planning to use a Fernco shielded coupling. But now I'm wondering if it would be better to remove the remaining steel pipe and go direct to ABS using a donut. I can't quite tell what is holding the steel pipe (it doesn't seem to be threaded) and how I would remove what looks like cement without clogging the drain.

Please advise...and thanks as always!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer-galv-abs-1.jpg

Homes built in the 60's may have had galvanized pipe into a 2" cast iron hub at the floor level.

washer-galv-abs-2.jpg

Pulling the galvanized pipe out leaves a circle of lead in the hub. Pry that out and a Fernco can be used and a new 2" ABS pipe used.

washer-galv-abs-3.jpg

Here is a Fernco insert with 2" ABS pushed down into it. I taper the end of the pipe and use some liquid soap to lube it up. A 2x4 laid flat over the pipe allows you to tap it in using a hammer.
At the top, I have a shielded coupling going between the 1.5" ABS and galvanized pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks