Search results

1. SteveW

Water meter restrictors for drought

Just saw this article about local water utility installing flow restrictors on the meters of consumers who don't follow the rules during the drought: https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/28/us/california-water-restriction-enforcement-elam/index.html
  2. SteveW

Consequences of TP shortage

With all the stockpiling of toilet paper and store shelves being empty, I was thinking that maybe 2 things could occur of relevance to professional plumbers: 1. There may be an increase in customers wanting bidet seats installed 2. People may resort to using other substitutes (e.g. newspaper...
  3. SteveW

Crimping vs sweating copper

I just had my WH replaced by our HVAC company, which also does plumbing. I realized that the plumber used crimp-on fittings for the 3/4" copper lines. I was aware of PEX crimping systems but was not aware of using crimp-on fittings for rigid copper. Is this common practice? Seems to me it might...
  4. SteveW

Need an idea for your tax refund?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/magazine/selling-airborne-opulence-to-the-upper-upper-upper-class.html
  5. SteveW

Ready for a talking toilet?

Hot of the presses, from the annual Consumer Electronics Show: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/huppke/ct-met-ces-tech-talking-toilet-huppke-20180110-story.html https://www.us.kohler.com/us/numi-toilet-standard-remote/productDetail/toilets/1334092.htm
  6. SteveW

the Fatberg epidemic hits the US

You may have heard about the infamous London "fatberg" which hit the news last month -- huge blog of congealed fat + flushed non-flushable items. Something like 140 tons, takes weeks to remove. Now Baltimore has its own fatberg...
  7. SteveW

Pacific NW prepped for earthquake?

I recently heard about the huge Cascadian subduction: http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/us/cascadia-subduction-zone-earthquakes/ I imagine this is actually common knowledge in the Pacific northwest, right? Assuming it is, do the plumbing codes in Oregon and Washington have some or all of the same...
  8. SteveW

Good softener air gap?

I am looking for a decent pre-made air gap for a Kenmore softener. I have done a search but not finding much, and few if any reviews of the ones I have found online. Some of the reviews were negative, mostly saying that either the unit may not have a built-in way to attach the plastic drain...
  9. SteveW

Sweat soldering tips/tricks

I took the liberty of putting together some sweat soldering tips and tricks from a recent thread, and thought it might be a good thing to have as a tutorial or "sticky" somewhere: 1. The joint must be 100% dry. 2. Wiping the soldered joint with a rag is a good practice. 3. Keeping a bottle of...
  10. SteveW

Self-cleaning toilet

Today I saw an ad for the new AS self-cleaning toilet. Went to their website and looks like it basically dispenses a cleaning solution into the bowl when you press a button, then rinses the cleaning solution away after either 1 minute or 10 minutes depending on which cleaning cycle you pick:
  11. SteveW

Washlets installed in entire apartment complex

http://www.omaha.com/columnists/kelly/kelly-developer-is-betting-that-high-tech-japanese-toilets-will/article_c21178ff-dd17-5281-adec-3730b5072347.html See above article from today's Omaha World-Herald about a local developer who put Toto Washlets in every apartment in his new property.
  12. SteveW

Korky instead of TSU39 fill valve?

I have a Toto one-piece toilet (can't recall model name) and fill valve isn't shutting off. It is not a Korky - it is a green oblong unit which according to a quick web search is designated "TSU39". I'm hoping I can just use a Korky fill valve - right? I am hoping the tank height isn't a problem.
  13. SteveW

Totos make the cut

Just read the September 2012 Consumer Reports, and they tested toilets. Toto Drake came in 3rd, behind AS Champion 4 as #1 followed by Gerber Avalanche. Toto Eco Drake was #7. Toto Aquia was #4 in the dual-flush category. I don't recall that CR ever included Totos before in their toilet...
  14. SteveW

New 1.0 GPF Toto

From today's (7/21/12) LA Times: ******************************************** Toto, a Japanese company, holds the Guinness World Record for creating the toilet with the most functions: a model with a heated seat that lifts automatically, an air-freshening and deodorizing function...
  15. SteveW

The enemy within (the bathroom): Pressure-assisted toilets

Saw this in the online LA Times today (7/21/12): ******************************************* Some HETs use "pressure assist" technologies, in which a pressurized air tank helps push water down the drain. But those systems suffered a setback late last month, when the Consumer Product Safety...
  16. SteveW

No regeneration - turbine problem?

I installed a Kenmore softener about 2 weeks ago. I have noticed that it hasn't regenerated since I manually regenerated it after installation. I put it into diagnostic mode to see if it is measuring water flow, and it does show that it is sensing flow, but compared to my previous Kenmore...
  17. SteveW

What does softener resin look like?

My Kenmore softener hasn't been working well (no soft water) for a few weeks. I have cleaned the venturi and that helped a while but again not softening well and appears due to a "salt rock" which I want to dissolve. I was trying to get some hot water from the water heater drain, to put into...
  18. SteveW

Measles cases up; Brit to blame

From the Omaha World-Herald today, noting that US cases of measles have gone up dramatically, due to lack of vaccination, which in turn is due to parents' fears that "MMR" (measles/mumps/rubella) vaccine causes autism: ****************************************** The notion of a link received...
  19. SteveW

Those fastidious Brits!

Did you happen to see this the other day, in a wire story about a manufacturer of portable toilets? ******************************************************************* ________'s business outside the U.S. also has helped it offset the economic decline in this country. Its fastest-growing...
  20. SteveW

Where'd it go?

Just responded to a thread by a guy annoyed because he couldn't figure out which way to turn the fill valve adjustment on a ballcock. Now can't find the thread - did it get deleted?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks