Search results

1. Brandon Weiss

Why might my air pressure test be losing pressure only at night?

I meant to follow up on this ages ago and forgot. I wound up adding a shutoff valve to the test rig, making it possible to pressurize the system then isolate both the schrader valve and pressure gauge from the test. So I did that, and the next morning the isolarted pressure gauge reading was...
  2. Brandon Weiss

Uponor pipe inside PVC or conduit

I just did this on my build a few days ago! We did a 1" PEX A (Uponor) line sleeved in 1-1/2" schedule 40 PVC, but we also didn’t have any bends. I’d highly recommend buying some different sized PVC and fittings and experimenting first. Maybe two 45° bends in 1-1/2" will work, or maybe one 90°...
  3. Brandon Weiss

Is there 1'' NPSM to 1'' NPT coupling?

Thanks! I did google for the part, but most of what comes up is out of stock (like that Fastenal link). But after a bit more sleuthing I found this Ford part on Ferguson! https://www.ferguson.com/product/ford-meter-box-1-x-2-58-in-meter-swivel-nut-x-mips-brass-coupling-fc38442625nl/_/R-3652020...
  4. Brandon Weiss

Can a female union tailpiece be used for male NPSM threads?

I have a device that has 1" male NPSM (straight) threads on both ends and I want to adapt it to 1" NPT. The instructions say to get two water meter fittings to make the connection to NPT, but water meter fittings are typically asymmetric (1-1/4" NSPM to 1" NPT or 1" NPSM to 3/4" NPT). I’m...
  5. Brandon Weiss

How problematic is water temperature above 140°F in PVC pipe?

Okay so I’m using PVC pipe for the drainage in our house and I’ve got this steam oven which gets plumbed in (it has a cold water line and needs drainage). The manual says the steam oven will discharge water at about 160°F. When water exits the steam oven it’ll run through a provided drain hose...
  6. Brandon Weiss

Sanitary tee in horizontal position for vent to drain transition?

Thanks! Yeah, I’m in California—I had a feeling it wasn’t allowed here, but I couldn’t figure out where it was stated.
  7. Brandon Weiss

Sanitary tee in horizontal position for vent to drain transition?

Hey! So I know you never put a sanitary tee in a horizontal position to transition from a vertical drain to a horizontal drain. But what I’m unclear on is whether you can use one to go from a vertical vent to a horizontal drain. Anecdotally, in diagrams I’ve seen both wyes and sanitary tees in...
  8. Brandon Weiss

I’d like to understand the PEX to tub spout issue a little better

The valve I’m using is actually 3/4", although the supply to it will be the standard 1/2". I chose the valve primarily because I’m looking for a specific trim/design, not because of the size. I think the reason it’s 3/4" is it supports using a cartridge that allows two outlets (e.g. shower head...
  9. Brandon Weiss

Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the drop ear and diverter! The last thing I don’t understand is the flow restriction to the tub spout. I mean I understand that the ID of PEX is smaller than copper, so flow is technically restricted, but I thought the limiting factor would be the...
  10. Brandon Weiss

I know that there are a seemingly infinite number of threads on this forum about why not to use PEX to connect the mixing valve to the tub spout, but I’ve read a lot of them and while the explanations sort of make sense, I feel like I don’t understand them fully, and I’d like to understand the...
  11. Brandon Weiss

How do I upsize building supply off a water meter?

I can’t remember exactly what fittings are there currently—I’ll have to take another look (I don’t live on the property yet). But most likely it’s a 1" NPSM (female) to 3/4" NPT (male) fitting on the meter. The building supply line is 3/4" galvanized steel, so presumably there’s a 3/4" female...
  12. Brandon Weiss

These are fascinating couplings! This catalog has a good visual cross-section and sort of explains how each of the three different types works, although I wish they explained why there are three different types and why you might want to choose one over another. I’m leaning towards the “quick...
  13. Brandon Weiss

@wwhitney One more question, if you have time. Where would you reduce from 1" down to 3/4"? Before the PRV, shutoff, and water softener? Or after the PRV, shutoff, and water softener but before the water heater?
  14. Brandon Weiss

Oh wow, those Ford fittings are a good find! They seem like a special order but it might be worth it to get rid of a fitting
  15. Brandon Weiss

It’s about 10 feet from the meter to the house, and then from there to the farthest fixture would be about 50 feet. Actually 65 feet if you count the outdoor shower. Oh okay, so it sounds like you’re saying what people do is they use two (or three) adapters to make it work. Yeah, I can’t find...
  16. Brandon Weiss

Thanks! But I’m a little confused as to what you’re suggesting. My understanding is that water meters use NPSM (National Pipe Straight Mechanical) and not NPT (tapered), so I don’t think I can connect that fitting you linked directly to the meter. Are you suggesting I use a 1" NPSM to 3/4" NPT...
  17. Brandon Weiss

Apologies if this has already been asked (I looked but couldn’t find a good answer). I’m renovating a one-floor, ~1,500 square foot house into a 4 bedroom, 2 bath. It’s mostly pretty standard fixtures, except there will also be a plumbed steam oven and an outdoor shower. It seems like I’ll need...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks