Why might my air pressure test be losing pressure only at night?

Users who are viewing this thread

Brandon Weiss

Reaction score
I’m doing an air pressure test on the rough-in I just finished for my house and am confused by something that is happening—I’m not sure if it’s normal or not.

The house is about 1,400 square feet with a kitchen, two bathrooms, and laundry hookups in the garage. The supply lines are Uponor PEX which terminate at a variety of Sioux Chief stop valves and well-made mixing valves for the bath, shower, and lavatory faucets (they’re in-wall).

I made a little pressure testing rig using a sharkbite fititng, a tee, a gauge, and the standard air connection (schrader valve?). I put that on one open pipe and then capped all the rest. I opened the mixing valves so that both the hot and cold lines would be tested at the same time. Then I brought it up to 100 PSI.

The system holds at 100 PSI for 15 minutes with no problem (and it passed inspection). After a full working day (about 8 hours) I noticed it might have dropped every so slightly. At most like 0.5 PSI. Although it’s possible I’m imagining it, because shifting your head even a little bit while looking at the gauge can make it read slightly differently.

But here’s where it gets a little weird. I come in the next morning expecting it might have dropped 1 PSI, but it’s actually dropped like 50 PSI. I work another 8 hours, check the gauge, and it’s in the exact same spot. I come back 16 hours later, and it’s dropped another 50 PSI and now reads 0 PSI.

I do the test again, and this time it drops by less each day, ultimately ending at around 10 PSI. And for the last few days it’s mostly held right there. Maybe it dropped another few PSI.

I’m pretty mystified by this. My best guest is it has to do with temperature? During the day it’s about 55°F and at night it’s about 40°F. So maybe the air is compressing and the pressure is dropping overnight. Although I would think it would expand during the day and the pressure would go back up. Maybe there’s also a slow leak, but then I don’t understand why it doesn’t leak at all during the day, and leaks a lot overnight, when theoretically the pressure should be lower because of contraction and thus leaking less

Thanks so much for any advice!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Add water and then add air to get back to 100 psi to or at least 40 psi over your expected operating pressure.
Unless you've been scrupulously soap bubble testing with Dawn, I wouldn't explain more than nominal fluctuations.
Wash the bubbles off with a hose if you do use that method...which I do not recommend.

CaliSkier

Reaction score
I’m doing an air pressure test on the rough-in I just finished for my house and am confused by something that is happening—I’m not sure if it’s normal or not.

The house is about 1,400 square feet with a kitchen, two bathrooms, and laundry hookups in the garage. The supply lines are Uponor PEX which terminate at a variety of Sioux Chief stop valves and well-made mixing valves for the bath, shower, and lavatory faucets (they’re in-wall).

I made a little pressure testing rig using a sharkbite fititng, a tee, a gauge, and the standard air connection (schrader valve?). I put that on one open pipe and then capped all the rest. I opened the mixing valves so that both the hot and cold lines would be tested at the same time. Then I brought it up to 100 PSI.

The system holds at 100 PSI for 15 minutes with no problem (and it passed inspection). After a full working day (about 8 hours) I noticed it might have dropped every so slightly. At most like 0.5 PSI. Although it’s possible I’m imagining it, because shifting your head even a little bit while looking at the gauge can make it read slightly differently.

But here’s where it gets a little weird. I come in the next morning expecting it might have dropped 1 PSI, but it’s actually dropped like 50 PSI. I work another 8 hours, check the gauge, and it’s in the exact same spot. I come back 16 hours later, and it’s dropped another 50 PSI and now reads 0 PSI.

I do the test again, and this time it drops by less each day, ultimately ending at around 10 PSI. And for the last few days it’s mostly held right there. Maybe it dropped another few PSI.

I’m pretty mystified by this. My best guest is it has to do with temperature? During the day it’s about 55°F and at night it’s about 40°F. So maybe the air is compressing and the pressure is dropping overnight. Although I would think it would expand during the day and the pressure would go back up. Maybe there’s also a slow leak, but then I don’t understand why it doesn’t leak at all during the day, and leaks a lot overnight, when theoretically the pressure should be lower because of contraction and thus leaking less

Thanks so much for any advice!

Try testing your testing rig. What I mean by that is just test your rig with a short piece of pipe with a cap on the end. See if the leak is actually in your testing rig.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Test jig? Soap bubble it, especially the Schrader valve. Sharkbites are good but I'm not sure if it can hold air as it can with water. After your test jig add a valve, charge the system and then close the valve to eliminate the test jig. The next day open the valve to get a pressure reading.

Brandon Weiss

Reaction score
I meant to follow up on this ages ago and forgot.

I wound up adding a shutoff valve to the test rig, making it possible to pressurize the system then isolate both the schrader valve and pressure gauge from the test.

So I did that, and the next morning the isolarted pressure gauge reading was down, although not as much as before. Then when I opened the shutoff valve the pressure reading went almost all the way back up to 100 PSI.

So my best guess is that either the schrader valve or the pressure gauge had a slow leak. Which makes sense—I didn’t exactly buy the highest quality valve or gauge

Thanks for the tips about checking the test rig!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The reason air tests are only 15 min is because temp can change the pressure considerably. A longer test usually just confuses people.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks