Search results

1. Brian80

Dirty water from new shower

Oh man... it wasn't even galvanized steel. I somehow spaced out and used black steel pipe o_O. No wonder I was getting orange water. This is what it looked like after only 2 months. Good riddance!
  2. Brian80

You're right. I forgot about the short piece of galvanized pipe to connect the drop-ear to the wall elbow! They advertise it as suitable for potable water though, so I'm surprised it would rust so quickly.
  3. Brian80

I redid one of the bathrooms in my house over the summer (totally gutted, moved all fixtures, added a shower), and the shower now shoots out a bit of dirty water after it's been off for several hours. It's only for a second or two, then it clears up. I noticed it a while ago but ignored it...
  4. Brian80

Delta R10000 shower valve leaking at the valve stop - defective valve?

I bought it from an online plumbing supplier, so it was never in the hands of the public per se. But you know, it would make sense that someone ordered it intending to steal an O-ring and return the valve, but they damaged the O-ring on their first try and succeeded on the second attempt with...
  5. Brian80

Oh, wow. I didn't notice before, but one of the O-rings is missing entirely! Another one has a big gouge on the side. That would explain the leak for sure. Not the best quality control, Delta... RE: replacing the O-rings. I'm sure these O-rings are made to a very specific spec. How do I get the...
  6. Brian80

Thanks for the part number. The instructions don't mention anything about replacement parts and I couldn't find anything online without already knowing the part number. Now I can find where to buy them, but they're not exactly cheap for small parts. It has to be a bad O-ring, right? Otherwise I...
  7. Brian80

Hi, I installed a Delta R10000 PXWS and just found out that the hot side valve stop failed the pressure test badly. With the stop closed, it leaks out of the threads. Everything is tight. I never soldered any part of this valve and I installed the valve stops according to the instructions. I...
  8. Brian80

Exceptions to horizontal venting under floor?

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't know the depth of the pipe or slab thickness yet. I'll only find out when I start cutting into the slab. I can't do a test cut because the bathroom is still currently in use. I haven't done any work under the slab at this house yet, so right now I can only make...
  9. Brian80

Thanks. I'll be renovating a basement bathroom where all surrounding rooms have finished flooring, so I only have access from one side of the wall. I'll be adding venting since there was none before. I would have liked to run my drain lines within the confines of the bathroom (maybe 6" from the...
  10. Brian80

Bumping an old post because I have the same issue with horizontal venting under the slab. Just so I'm clear, in practical terms the fitting that connects a drain pipe to a vent pipe needs to be under a wall so that the vertical vent pipe is concealed within that wall. Correct?
  11. Brian80

Why no PEX sweep 90 fittings?

Related to this thread, this company has come out with stainless steel PEX fittings, and their elbow is a long sweep: https://boshart.com/product/pex-90-elbow-2/ I'm not sure where to buy them in Canada though. I'm sure it's quite expensive compared to brass anyway.
  12. Brian80

Anyone familiar with E-Con Supply?

Google turned up an online store that has ABS fittings, among other things: https://e-consupply.ca/collections/abs-plumbing . They're located in a small town outside of Winnipeg, although the address listed looks like farmland on Google Maps. The prices for ABS fittings are a fraction of what...
  13. Brian80

Cleanout location in basement bathroom

Hi, I'm planning to renovate a bathroom in the basement. I found this video which explains the exact DWV layout I need, but the only problem is that my bathroom is on a concrete slab so the cleanout location in the diagram won't work. My cleanout obviously needs to be above the slab, but I'm not...
  14. Brian80

Tankless water pressure questions

It was tricky working around a gas line and several other pipes, but I got er done. Unfortunately after setting the WH temp back to 120 F, my tenant's shower still did not get hot enough to her liking so I set the safety stop in the shower valve all the way to "hot" and now it can get up to...
  15. Brian80

I can't make out a brand or model number: It does appear to be full port though. When open, there is no restriction. This is the best picture I could take (my camera could not focus properly) I think I know why the installer used a shutoff valve on the cold side. It isolates the water...
  16. Brian80

Why no PEX sweep 90 fittings?

I recently had to take apart some polybutylene piping in my house (ironically, it was actually the soldered joint next it which failed). I noticed their elbow fittings had a gradual sweep like this: As far as I know, in the PEX world there are 2 options to redirect a pipe in a tight space...
  17. Brian80

Wayne is right, I was referring to the 2 shutoffs well below the service valves:
  18. Brian80

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Here are a few clarifications: I'm on city water The city water main is 3/4" polybuetylene (house built in 1990). Piping buried behind walls/floors is still poly-b, although I'd like to replace it someday. All piping to and from the WH is 3/4" PEX. The old WH...
  19. Brian80

I had a Navien NPE-240A installed a few weeks ago. It replaced an 11 year old 40 gallon storage tank that could not handle peak demand (4 adults, 2 kids all showering in the evening). I was taking lukewarm showers on a regular basis, sometimes even cold showers... It's working well and...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks