Parallel drain system for greywater - pipe sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

AdamPNW

Reaction score
Hi all. DIY installer of a greywater DWV system in Bainbridge Island (UPC). Iso drawing attached. Im trying to size the greywater to a 2” drain pipe since the recommended 3-way pool valves are 2” (And it seems 3” 3-way valves would be prohibitively expensive). Diverter valves to an approved septic system are required here.
The problem is when the 2” greywater drain becomes horizontal, it no longer can accommodate 14 DFU, per code. Can a 2” drain pipe be split into two 2” pipes before it becomes horizontal? of course, then each section would need to be diverted, but possibly this is preferred over a large 3” diverter. Thoughts?
thanks, Adam

Attachments

• Greywater_Iso.jpg
    Greywater_Iso.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 26

JoeJee

HVAC Contractor
Reaction score
Yes, you can split it up and have two separate lines that tie into the 3” assuming all else meets code. I don’t know how restrictive those valves are for DWV non-pressure so can’t say if your idea is good or not.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you are talking about taking a single 2 inch drain line on the down hill side splitting it to 2 no you cant

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can a 2” drain pipe be split into two 2” pipes before it becomes horizontal?
No, you can't do that.

What you can do is to avoid creating a vertical 2" pipe with more than 8 DFUs in the first place, by keeping the fixtures separate. So you'd have two parallel vertical 2" drains, each with no more than 8 DFUs.

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can definitely split the two sections and keep them seperate until after your diverter.

This is not a thing I've dug into. I'm not sure a pool diverter valve is OK for this. I'm actually questioning any type of system that diverts drainage. As the code has sections that would contradict the possibility of diverting. If the system needed changed later I don't think valves are a feasible way to merge a gravity drainage system. A pumped system could divert and re-divert sure, but gravity systems generally (at least in the past) aren't for changing back and fourth.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks