vent connector / thimble sealing question

Users who are viewing this thread

1oldman

Reaction score
New atmospheric vent WH requires a 4” vent connector. I have a 5” id clay thimble into the tile lined masonry chimney. That would mean that I would have a 1/2” gap circumferentially between the 4” vent connector and the 5” clay thimble. The small gap could be filled with furnace cement I suppose, but I would like the connector to be easily removable for cleaning, inspections etc. I can't imagine this is uncommon, but a prolonged search of the net wasn't helpful. Seeking suggestions for code compliant best practices.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why cant you put a small piece of metal comming out the clay and then you crimp the next piece to go inside down to the heater youll be abl;e to change out the bottom section anytime

1oldman

Reaction score

Fitter30

Reaction score
If buying a 5x4 adaptor ( box store should have one) both are size that's why you need a crimper to shrink the 5 to go into clay pipe ( should be snug) and if the 4 needs to be made smaller. Really can't expand the pipe. If you own a angle grinder pick up a thin grinding wheel 1/16" snap the.pipe together mark it use the grinder to cut it. Ear and eye protection needed. Three self tapper screws in every joint.

Last edited: