Not strong enough to remove push to connect fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

BobNJ

Reaction score
Hi!
I am trying to replace an exterior hose bib that is a sharkbite. I bought the u-shaped removal tool. But, it appears that I am not strong enough to push it down. I have looked at a new connector I purchased and I cannot get that to push down either.
Is there another way to try? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there another way to try?
A big wrench. This could give you a big handle to hold. The wrench would be adjusted to 5/8 for 1/2 inch copper.

Using what you have, this may be a 2-person job for the less practiced. One to retract the SharkBite and one to provide the pulling-apart while the teeth are retracted, perhaps tugging from outside.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...ainless-Steel-Disconnect-Tong-U715A/206697728
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tectite...Connect-Fitting-Removal-Tool-69PFRT/302163187

are tools that could make this less challenging.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to hold the sharkbite fitting fully engaged (inserted) before you use the tool to retract the teeth. Don't just go straight to pulling on the tool/fitting. Disengage the teeth using the tool. Then pull it apart. Push the fitting together before trying to retract the teeth.

I know this post is repetitive trying to make it clear.

Also make sure there is no water pressure in the pipe. That could be keeping the fitting engaged.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Don't just go straight to pulling on the tool/fitting. Disengage the teeth using the tool. Then pull it apart. Push the fitting together before trying to retract the teeth.

Yep. A lot of people miss the part about pushing *in* before pulling back. The teeth are at an angle to dig in, and retracting the teeth with the tool and pushing in should allow a full release.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks