Why does wall mounted faucet not need access panel but deck does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lucky

Reaction score
getting a bathroom remodel. I'm not a pro but I'm looking to learn a bit while planning the project. I'm getting a 42x36 shower stall next to a 60 x 32 tub. the tub wont be a shower. there will be a knee wall between the shower stall and tub.

our contractor said pick any faucet from Kohler, Delta or Moen and we can even buy it ourselves for him to install. but that's all he installs. he's the general and has a plumber do his plumbing actually.

so we started looking at the big 3 websites at wall mounts. I don't think there were 10 total. but deck mounts is 100's of choices. plus my gf really wants the spray as well. and with wall mount the hose hangs in the tube.

so I began looking at pinterest then realized we can put a deck on the rear 60 inch wall of the tub and build that out so the faucets can be mounted on that deck. plus then we get a nice 60 inch shelf for faucets. soap. shampoo etc etc. I have 12 inches of space to build out the tub and I'm not sure the depth of the new deck wall but guess around 5 or 6 inches ?

the general wrote back to me today and said he talked to the plumber and an access panel would be needed if we wanted a deck built out from the wall. the other side of the wall is just an unused spare bedroom so I really don't mind the panel per se. I can cover with a bureau and I'm sure anyone else would do the same. but it got me wondering why a wall mount tub faucet in a knee wall doesn't need access but a deck mount does.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen plenty of deck mounts without an access. And when I need to work on them I sometimes remove the tile for access.
Most of the wall faucets have been just fine to work with later.

Lucky

Reaction score
i guess what he's trying to do then is save me from having to rip the granite (or tile) off the deck to access faucets should it ever be needed. somethign tells me moving a 4 or 5 inch wide granite by 60 inches long deck wouldnt be fun. so he wants the access panel.

the contractor wants to do a 12 inch backsplash for the tub and now that i want the rear deck, i assume same granite would be used for that horizontal deck as well (not discussed yet). plan was use that for the shower niche and sink backspash as well. so everything matches

so i guess sounds like hes doing things the 'best way' and providing for future repairs. as a layperson i just had no clue why the wall mount didnt need an access but now that you said they were easier to work on i get it.

Lucky

Reaction score
well that thats good planning. the general got back to me with the following info i asked about.

he said the wall would be built out 8 to 10 inches from the rear depending on what fixtures i choose. (i assumed not that much but oh well, an 8 inch shelf would be nice) the situation now is that i have 45 inches from the wall to my entrance door frame and this is where my current shower stall is. literally right inside the door. but they are gonna swap the tub and the shower stall due to an old 28 inch tub in the old location against a 28 inch wall and you cannot get 28 inch tubs easily anymore. he said along the 45 inch wall would be better and its the 2nd contractor to recommend this. so if i get a 32 inch tub i have 13 inches of excess play in essence right inside my bathroom door. for years ive always entered the bathroom and walked past this shower up against the door basically. the guy said he felt closed in that way but i said im so used to it that it doest matter. but point is even if the tub build out wall comes out 10 from the wall, that will be at the 42 inch mark and ill still have 3 inches of 'new space' i didnt have before but of course with the tub being low, ill have much more open space with the tub there anyway.

i asked what the access panel may look like, he said a bit bigger than this
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Load-Center-Access-Panels/3130139

my last question was
can you guesstimate the additional cost to build out the wall and install the access panel? and he said:
depending on tile or granite sill and fixture selection...anywhere from $500-$1000
========
i need to start looking for wider rear mounted deck faucet pics online because i wanna make sure i like the look. im just glad he can do this with a standard alcove tub because i didnt want a deck mount and crawling over that extra bit of 'width' to get in the tub. plus unsure i had the space for a deck anyway.

Lucky

Reaction score
while i'm on a roll

anything inherently good or bad about linear drains. i thought it would be a nice look in the new tile shower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks