Static water level?

Users who are viewing this thread

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A rising static water level can only push water through the pump and check valve up to the static level. It can't make enough pressure to push any water out the top of the well unless it is an Artesian or flowing well.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
A rising static water level can only push water through the pump and check valve up to the static level. It can't make enough pressure to push any water out the top of the well unless it is an Artesian or flowing well.

Ok, I knew it wouldn’t push higher than static but I have a well at my cabin that will at times over flow the well cap because there is a hill higher than the well. My lateral is not buried below the frost line because of rock so I installed a drain back type system. My concern is the water pushing back up the lateral to where the pipe is above the frost line and freezing. I will have to put in a curb stop at the well head where it is deep so I can close it when I leave

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Would pressurizing the lateral with air keep the check valve closed?
Yes, but air can escape very easily so you may need an air source that will turn on and replenish what is lost. Even that is a risk. I have an air compressor in my unheated shop where the pressure switch on it sometimes freezes so it won't turn on when the pressure leaks down.

Greenmonster123

Reaction score
Yes, but air can escape very easily so you may need an air source that will turn on and replenish what is lost. Even that is a risk. I have an air compressor in my unheated shop where the pressure switch on it sometimes freezes so it won't turn on when the pressure leaks down.

I think I will try to get back to install a curb stop before the ground gets too stiff.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks