PEX Rookie Needing Some Help

Users who are viewing this thread

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Hi All,

We purchased a new bathroom vanity that is taller and requires the supply lines be raised up ~9" and the drain about 5". I believe I am good on the drain (correct my plan below if anything seems incorrect) but I am a rookie with the PEX and not quite sure how to handle the supply lines.

Supply Lines Questions

• Can these type of PEX connections be removed or do they need to be cut off? If so, can anyone provide some direction on how they are removed?
  • Once removed, I assume I will need to add some type of coupling (and a small run of PEX to get the additional length) so looking for a recommendation for what type of coupling would be recommended. (I do not have any crimping tools)

Drain Plan

• Cut out existing sanitary tee, add a 5" piece of PVC and a coupling to bring it up 5" and install a new sanitary tee that is 5" higher.

Appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you.

IMG_0851.jpg IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0851.jpg

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
can't you just buy longer faucet supply lines and a sink tail piece extension ?
shark-bites are allowed behind walls.

Last edited:

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Unfortunately the new vanity won’t work with the current positions. It has an open bottom and the drain would show. I’d also have to cut out the back of the vanity pretty significantly for the supply lines. My only real option is to move everything up.

I was thinking to use the Sharkbites as Old Timer mentioned but wanted to see what the more experienced thought.

As it sits now will the new vanity have a problem with the current positions? If not just use a longer tailpiece for the sink. Depending on the faucet, usually 8" spread, the water lines come preinstalled and are very long, if not just get longer lines.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Those connections are expansion (pex-A), which have less restriction than the crimp style used with the types -B and -C. You can use a Sharkbite and crimp connections if you wish, or use expansion fittings.

A crimped connection can be removed by removing the crimp ring then, the tubing should pull off the fitting. Type -A is expanded with a tool, then the fitting is inserted into the expanded pipe. It fairly quickly shrinks back and locks and seals the joint. You can't readily remove it...you need to cut it off. If you want to try to reuse the fitting, you have to cut the tubing off of it without scoring or scratching the fitting which could allow it to leak.

OLD TIMER

Reaction score
Unfortunately the new vanity won’t work with the current positions. It has an open bottom and the drain would show. I’d also have to cut out the back of the vanity pretty significantly for the supply lines. My only real option is to move everything up.

I was thinking to use the Sharkbites as Old Timer mentioned but wanted to see what the more experienced thought.
Wow ! Thanks, the only reason I suggested " shark-bites" is because your inexperienced. your welcome.

MK_Chicago

Reaction score
Thank you! This is very helpful information!

Those connections are expansion (pex-A), which have less restriction than the crimp style used with the types -B and -C. You can use a Sharkbite and crimp connections if you wish, or use expansion fittings.

A crimped connection can be removed by removing the crimp ring then, the tubing should pull off the fitting. Type -A is expanded with a tool, then the fitting is inserted into the expanded pipe. It fairly quickly shrinks back and locks and seals the joint. You can't readily remove it...you need to cut it off. If you want to try to reuse the fitting, you have to cut the tubing off of it without scoring or scratching the fitting which could allow it to leak.
Thanks

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cut it. crimp in a coupling. Crimp in a new 90 where you want your stub-outs. you can buy a cheapass crimp tool at home depot for about $60 bucks. You'll need two 1/2" coupling, two 1/2 90's, two 1/2" caps.

turn the water off, open a hot and cold line somewhere to bleed off the pressure. cut and crimp. easy 5 minute job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks