Gluing DWV test caps

Users who are viewing this thread

LesP

Reaction score
Reach4 - thanks for the suggestion but I don't think cling wrap and rubber bands could hold back the water pressure. Could I put ABS glue or something else around the edge of test cap where the water is spraying out under pressure?

Cacher, unfortunately I don't have any test balls and I am an hour away from a proper plumbing store so I am trying to work with what I have on hand...

Never a dull moment!

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking you would use 10 ft of water head for the test. I would use something stronger than cling wrap to hold 5 psi. Maybe a piece of a 6.0 mil contractor bag. I am not a pro.

https://allsensors.com/blog/pressure-the-life-of-the-party/ says a typical party balloon gets to about 15 psi before it pops, but I find that to be suspect.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Could I put ABS glue or JB Weld around the outside edge of the caps to close off the tiny gaps in order to pass the pressure test?

Thanks, as always, for your guidance!
Les

It's worth a try. I normally coat the end of the pipe, then the cookie, push it on with a swirl, and then recoat on the outside. Three times I hit it.
Why not try throwing some glue on the outside? It's getting cut off anyway later.

LesP

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, Terry! I swirled ABS glue around the outside of the cookie/pipe joint and that did the trick!

But now the threaded test tee caps (shown in reply #17 above) are dripping ever so slightly, even after screwing the caps in as far as I dare go. I did apply teflon tape — do I need more tape, thicker tape, pipe dope, or all of the above?

I also have a tiny drip coming from the bathtub drain shoe. I’m thinking the rubber gasket is not making a tight enough seal with the bumpy Fiberglas coated underside of the tub. Do I just hit that with silicone caulk?

Hoping third time is the charm!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
On rubber gasketed sealing surfaces, I lubricate the rubber with a tiny bit of plumber's grease so that it has the ability to slip into place under tension rather than gripping on the sealing surfaces. Just dont use much, and do not overtighten the fitting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Try another wrap or two of PTFE tape, or add some pipe dope on top of what you have.

FWIW, Teflon is a trademark and that company does NOT sell the materials or tape for that purpose, so while people know what you mean, it's not Teflon tape just like not all tissues are Kleenex or all tape is Scotch tape or all copies are Xeroxes. Companies can get touchy about their trademarks, especially on a public forum...diluting their worth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks