New Well drilled, advice for set up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Black_cirrus

Reaction score
Sorry this is a long first post but I'm trying to get all the info out first shot.

So I have property planing to DIY build a house on next year doing site work this year, and we got the well drilled finally. Unfortunately the well is pretty deep at 715'. To sum up the well report and story:
no bedrock till 305
1.5gpm @ 335
no more water @ 600' they went home for that day, Asked them to stop at 700' after researching a bunch.
6.5gpm @ 698 They called and said lets go down another 20 for room to set the pump, oked
@ 715 60+ GPM.
static level reported at 290'
Well has 4" pvc liner.

Property on a Hill side, The Large aquifer is supposed to end almost 1/2 mile away. So its a guessing game if we hit a vein off it or not. But if (big IF) we did the static could stay above 400' regard less of pump volume.

So House will be under 100' away but with a daylight basement I expect the total head above the well site to be 30-40'. Power comes from an external breaker panel already set with less then 30' run to the well head. I'm pretty good in plumbing and electrical and have a backhoe to do the digging but doubt I can safely and efficiently place a pump in the well at 400'. Also I'd like to be able to use water next summer before I have the house in, but that could be a temporary CSV/tank setup.

I'm wanting longest lasting submersible pump system reasonable. Thinking 10gpm will be good. I had some thoughts but the water hits makes me unsure what size pump and set depth would be preferred.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Only getting 1.5 GPM at 335' and setting the pump at 400', you really need a storage tank set up. This way the well pump can be set shallow and run as long as needed to keep the storage tank full. Then an additional booster pump in the storage tank can supply as much pressure and flow as needed.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Sounds like you have good info on where they hit water and how much....which is not a substitute for knowing the actual pumping level at a given flow rate...Valveman mentioned need for a storage tank and booster pump but I doubt you need that. It would probably pay in the long term to have the driller do an actual pump test at your design flow of 10 gpm and so you can know exactly what pumping equipment would be appropriate.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's a tough one to go into without a pump test. Generically I'd be looking at a 10gpm 1.5hp and that's dependent on it producing more than 10gpm at 400ft which it may or may not due.

With a 300ft static level you never want to pull that by hand, the sleeve just makes it all that much harder, so the well always needs vehicle access. No reason to consider poly, pump goes in on PVC with a pump hoist. I'd recommend paying someone to do it right.

I'd run the offset 1-1/4" One inch is large enough for your demand, but if you ever want more it's better not to need to replace the underground again.

Black_cirrus

Reaction score
I guess having a driller that doesn't do pumps cost me info on this but to late now. Permanent access is planned as it along side the driveway.
The 1.5 gpm was constant for hours at least as I was there for part of the drilling.
I believe he flow tested the 6.5 also but couldn't test much once the big water was hit due to erosion issues.Is having a pump down test reasonable on a well like this?
Looks like I am going to have a pump guy come in (which I already figured on) just trying to make sense of what proposals I'll be getting. I got estimates before I bought the property of just over $10k for a 600' deep pump installed but both the wells guys said 400 foot well would be pretty likely and I'm at 700'
It looks like a 2 hp pump could be used and set closer to 600' is this correct? I am looking at the pump date sheet on grundfos SQ 3-105 which looks to be a little over 2hp. https://product-selection.grundfos....ang=USA&productnumber=96510210&qcid=478908051

I was already thinking I would run 1 1/4" pipe for the horizontal runs. I have experience so that I am pretty sure how to handle everything once I'm out of the well casing.

Black_cirrus

Reaction score
It looks like a sp series 10s20-27 would be good option without the downsides of the Sq series I found out after picking one in that line up.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Once they hit the big water at bottom everything changed....which is why you really need pump test. It may not draw down any at 10 gpm in which case a 1 or 1.5hp 10 gpm pump will be adequate.....or it may draw down a lot and you'll need a 2hp set much deeper. From what I've seen on east coast I doubt from what you've said it will draw down much. Pump test may cost 1000 to 1500 but its worth it for the info in my opinion. If I were the pump man...I would suggest doing a pump test with a 1 5hp 10 gpm at 360'......with the idea that if test was successful I would leave the pump in and sell it to you as permanent setup.

Black_cirrus

Reaction score
Ok, that I get, understand, and like. I even was trying to figure out if I could do something like that myself. Now I need a pump man who thinks like you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks