Problem with pump after fitting failure

Users who are viewing this thread

Tom Rogers

Reaction score
I have a 70 ft well it is 35 years old. 6 inch casing. I have a Sears 390.25320 vertical pump. It uses 2 1 1/4 poly lines to the jet assembly. Yes everything is 30 plus years old. The piping has been pulled once several years age and all black iron replaced with brass. The issue is the threaded pcv fitting that attaches to the pressure regulator split. And the pump ran for about 4 hrs. Now when I shut it off it still had 40 psi of pressure. I drained the system down replaced the bad fitting and primed the the pump. Problem being it will maybe pickup and make water and shut off. But if you turn on the spigot and the pressue drops to the point the the pressure switch comes on it won't make water past 40 psi. And it sounds like the pump is cavitating or sucking air. The water in the well is within 8ft of the top. Did I crater the pump or is the a problem down hole.

Tom Rogers

Reaction score
There is no loss of pressure when power is shut off. Guess it is time to pull the old girl. It almost acts like there is a hole in one of the lines just below the water line. Where else could there be a suction leak.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A suction leak will not leak water. Water molecules are much larger than air molecules. Air will suck into places that water will not squirt out of under pressure. When it ran for 4 hours it got the pipe hot. I suspect the pipe that screws into the pump has a suction leak. Put foamy shaving cream on the connection while the pump is running and you will see where the air sucks through the shaving cream.

Tom Rogers

Reaction score
Just to follow up. The problem was the jet casting where the suction line screwed in it was pretty rotten. I just shot gunned it and put a new jet and new pump n this well she is making water now. Thanks for you alls help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks