Basement Laundry Room changes

Users who are viewing this thread

TDIGUY

Reaction score
Right now I have hookups for 2 Washing machines in the middle of the wall, they are on the same drain line to the stack with a vent between the 2 that ties in higher on the stack. (see Picture)
I would like to remove one of the washing machine drains and extend across the room to add a wash sink in the corner. would I be ok with a similar setup or do I need to do it differently?
Would it be better to have them tie into the stack seperatly with an extra vent on the lower connection or is it OK to share the line. it is 1.5" line. I believe it should be 2" but the stack itself is also 1.5 so i cant change it without tearing up the concrete floor. The only thing on this stack will be the washer and sink. the vent runs across the ceiling to the same area as the rest of the vents in the basement and goes up into the wall with the other vents.

tdiguy-01.jpg
tdiguy-02.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know about your code but I'd tear it all out and replumb it unless its a hardship . no washing machine should be on a 1 1/2' line in my opinion even if un governed by code its just not modern first world plumbing. that said if it works and you aren't concerned with water damage perhaps no big deal

TDIGUY

Reaction score
The current standpipe is only 1.5" and goes under the concrete slab to I don't know where. I would like to avoid having to tear up 1/2 the basement concrete to change it to a 2" are there any other options I could look at to limit the chance of water issues. It is 1.5 now on the double washing machine setup and I have not had any issues so far.

Can they both share the same vent as long as they are connected separately.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The current standpipe is only 1.5" and goes under the concrete slab to I don't know where. I would like to avoid having to tear up 1/2 the basement concrete to change it to a 2" are there any other options I could look at to limit the chance of water issues. It is 1.5 now on the double washing machine setup and I have not had any issues so far.

Can they both share the same vent as long as they are connected separately.
Where is job location and which code do you use? ok you haven't had any issue , I commented above on pipe size being too small

TDIGUY

Reaction score
I am located in Ontario Canada,
I just got lucky looking at it last night.
It is a 1.5" drain line to the stack which I know needs to be changed to 2" for the washer but where it connects to the stack is a 1.5/1.5/2" Y and 2" goes into the floor to connect to the drain below the slab.
Am I then OK with a 2" drain for the washer with a 1.5" vent?
For the laundry tub, could I connect to the 2" line with the washer and add a vent before the washer that ties into the vent stack?
Or should it connect seperately to the stack.
I keep saying stack but there is nothing else draining into this just the washer and future sink so going up is just a vent.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
We do have a lot of Canadians questions on this site but I don't know codes there. Might have to tee the sink off the stand pipe if you have IPC code

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks