High pitched sound from gas line - bounty offered!

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave MN 007

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new home in October. My home office sits in the front corner of the house and the gas meter is on the wall behind my office, just a few feet.

From day 1, whenever there was a higher load on the gas line, a high pitched whine could be heard. There is an open space below my office and the noise is loud in there also. I am offering $100 to whoever can give me the right answer for this problem (contractor has been trying).

If the furnace is the only gas appliance running, no noise. If the furnace and hot water heater are running, noise. There is a certain threshold of gas usage that causes the issue.

The gas meter has been replaced twice. Hasn't fixed it.

The regulator on the meter has been replaced. Hasn't fixed it.

Contractor replaced the gas line from the meter into the house (around 4 feet) and took any bends out. Didn't fix it. (Pipe is a black pipe, seems like PVC of some sort)

Today the contractor replace the line from the meter into the house for around 15 feet as far as they could access in unfinished space. They replaced it with a copper line. Didn't fix it and if anything it is louder now.

My wife and I are pulling our hair out and find it odd that the contractor can't figure this out. We heard a second house in our development is now having the exact same problem.

Contractor did bring out the manufacturing rep for the black pipe, it appears it is something newer for them.

I think the next step is to replace the entire black pipe which will require ripping out and replacing the ceiling to get access. A huge mess for us.

Happy to supply any other info needed. Hope I get to pay the bounty to someone and get my office quiet!

Reach4

Reaction score
I purchased a brand new home in October. My home office sits in the front corner of the house and the gas meter is on the wall behind my office, just a few feet.
That would be near the wall, and not on the wall, right?

From day 1, whenever there was a higher load on the gas line, a high pitched whine could be heard.
Is the sound maybe more like a hiss (wide-band noise) than a whine?

When you grab the piping, can you feel the sound? If so, where is that maximum?

If the furnace is the only gas appliance running, no noise. If the furnace and hot water heater are running, noise. There is a certain threshold of gas usage that causes the issue.
Tankless WH, or tank?

Dave MN 007

Reaction score
That would be near the wall, and not on the wall, right?

Is the sound maybe more like a hiss (wide-band noise) than a whine?

When you grab the piping, can you feel the sound? If so, where is that maximum?

Tankless WH, or tank?

Yes, it is a standard meter install, not attached to the wall.

It is a whine, not a hiss. I would place it around 1000 hz for the tone.

I cannot feel it when grabbing the pipe, that makes some sense due to the frequency. I think I would need to take my sound meter to the pipe to see where it is the loudest, and I'll try that.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You might want to pick up an auto stethoscope to help trace the noise down. Is there any other gas appliances? If you have a range, turn on all burners and oven, then either the furnace or WH. I'm suspecting there it is a valve or debris that is vibrating like a reed instrument, obviously at a certain gas flow or pressure drop.

https://www.harborfreight.com/mecha...dAnDhSIDxnl-bB5vziix1WG_2yzRL3VgaAnKsEALw_wcB

Bgard

Reaction score
Is this a 2 psi system with regulators at the appliances or 1/4 psi with no regulators?
Are there long flex connectors at the appliances?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
good question on the type of water heater 35000 btu or 200000btu ? might make a differance 6 times as much gas flowing.

might be worth blasting out the lines with air is your gas piping sized properly? no idea where the noise is coming from? try jumping the meter see if noise goes away. musta been a reason to try swapping meters twice

Reach4

Reaction score
Contractor replaced the gas line from the meter into the house (around 4 feet) and took any bends out. Didn't fix it. (Pipe is a black pipe, seems like PVC of some sort)
Usually the term "black pipe" is used to describe a rigid steel pipe. That would attract a magnet.

What diameter or circumference are your pipes?

Dave MN 007

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It is a CSST pipe - a new type of some sort - my guess is cheaper.

It is a long run across the entire house (rambler).

We barked at the builder and sub yesterday. They brought out a copper pipe and ran it across the floor to see if that would fix it. It did - completely got rid of the noise. The bad news is they now have to rip open parts of my ceiling to permanently install it.

My best guess is there is an issue with longer pipe lengths. The builder has the same house with the same problem but the basement is unfinished. They replaced the CSST pipe with a larger one (same brand) and the problem didn't go away.

Crazy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ok well you never answered question on the water heater. Any info is good to share with pro's who beside helping people for free like to learn.
Any Idea the number btu you are using.. or the length of piping A tankless far away from meter for example would perhaps contribute.
Any way CSST is not cheap oh no far from it. but its quick and easy just like running hoses. Old School black pipe threaded is way cheapest , safer and far far more rugged. but labor cost higher.

Dave MN 007

Reaction score
My apologies, I missed that. It is a tank, 50 gallons.

I do not know the BTUs, I did a general calculation one based on averages. The pipe length is around 45 feet based on the house size (it runs from one side to the other).

The builder admitted they just switched to this CSST and we had a guy out driving a Range Rover from the manufacturer. They were concerned that something was up, but pointed the finger at our gas company. The gas company in turn pointed the finger at the contractor.

I'm going to see if I can find a snap piece of the pipe to see what brand/model it is.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I am a little puzzled why . yours isnt the first house with that material in it.
perhaps the piping wasent sized big enough but dont know. never had the issue with black pipe. I dont know if all that csst is jacketed or not but the stainless steel is thin and more prone to noise Id say

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never had to change sizez of an orofice must have been propane original and needed converted to natural?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks