Advice for shower arm leak with new hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

tlittleton

Reaction score
I'm in the process of a DIY remodel and have been dealing with a frustrating issue regarding the shower arm. I replaced all the plumbing and put in a new bath/shower valve. I've been using push to connect connectors and they seem to work great so far, with the exception of the drop ear elbow and the connected shower arm.

I have 1/2" copper pipe coming from the valve to the push to connect elbow (Sharkbite brand). I CANNOT get the threaded shower arm connection water tight. I have tried two brand new elbows and three different shower arms. I have tried teflon tape and that thread sealer paste. I have tried to be careful not to over tighten the threads.

I still have a leak. I'm using a Kohler shower arm and it has the standard NPT threads. I've also tried a couple of cheap shower arms and have had the same problem. Is it the Sharkbite connector? I've gotten it down to a very minor seep while the shower is running, but that is still unacceptable, especially once I put drywall back up.

Any advice?? I'm frustrated to no end at this point...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible, but not likely, that you have two defective fittings. They can end up with cracks or pinholes in them.

The shower arms may not have the greatest quality threads on them.

The most likely issue is that you're not getting the connection tight enough. It might work better for you if you used the pipe dope and the tape. Or, you might just need to go around one more time. If the threads are cut properly, you shouldn't bottom the arm out in the fitting, and that will probably do it. That next turn can take some force, but if your elbow is properly supported, it shouldn't be an issue. It should be a drop-ear el, anchored to blocking.

Attachments

• drop-ear SharkBite elbow.jpg
    drop-ear SharkBite elbow.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 386

kaffetero

Reaction score
I've got the exact same issue.

Seems like the threads on the drop ear Sharkbite are straight threads and the threads on the shower arm are tapered and that they're not going into the drop enough to really create a seal.

Also, I've installed the drop ear such that it is essentially flush w/ the shower wall tile, so I don't have space in the wall for a nipple or adapter.

Not too happy at the moment.

Reach4

Reaction score
Seems like the threads on the drop ear Sharkbite are straight threads and the threads on the shower arm are tapered and that they're not going into the drop enough to really create a seal.
I suggest the next time that you put in your shower arm, use PTFE tape and Rectorseal #5 both. And tighten tight.

You could undo what you have, re-tape and re-dope, and try again. Or maybe just give the current arm another full turn CW. If you can't, do the shower arm turning challenge when you have some stronger friends over. They will enjoy the challenge.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Any advice?? I'm frustrated to no end at this point..."

If you can't fight it...replace it.
Replace the drop ear elbow, except this time get the type you sweat on the copper riser. Problem solved.

R Sullivan

Reaction score
I'm in the process of a DIY remodel and have been dealing with a frustrating issue regarding the shower arm. I replaced all the plumbing and put in a new bath/shower valve. I've been using push to connect connectors and they seem to work great so far, with the exception of the drop ear elbow and the connected shower arm.

I have 1/2" copper pipe coming from the valve to the push to connect elbow (Sharkbite brand). I CANNOT get the threaded shower arm connection water tight. I have tried two brand new elbows and three different shower arms. I have tried teflon tape and that thread sealer paste. I have tried to be careful not to over tighten the threads.

I still have a leak. I'm using a Kohler shower arm and it has the standard NPT threads. I've also tried a couple of cheap shower arms and have had the same problem. Is it the Sharkbite connector? I've gotten it down to a very minor seep while the shower is running, but that is still unacceptable, especially once I put drywall back up.

Any advice?? I'm frustrated to no end at this point...
I realize your post is almost 3 years old now, but did you ever find a solution to your shower arm leak? We’re experiencing the same exact problem with same plumbing connections. Lowe’s guy couldn’t believe we’d tested 3 different shower arms and still had a leak problem, but it’s true. He suggested some great white sealer instead of the plumbers tape. Haven’t tried that fix yet. Thought I’d see if you had resolved your issue first. Thanks in advance.

R Sullivan

Reaction score
I've got the exact same issue.

Also, I've installed the drop ear such that it is essentially flush w/ the shower wall tile, so I don't have space in the wall for a nipple or adapter.

Not too happy at the moment.
Were you able to resolve the leak, and if so, how? We’re experiencing the same problem...ugh.

R Sullivan

Reaction score
I realize your post is almost 3 years old now, but did you ever find a solution to your shower arm leak? We’re experiencing the same exact problem with same plumbing connections. Lowe’s guy couldn’t believe we’d tested 3 different shower arms and still had a leak problem, but it’s true. He suggested some great white sealer instead of the plumbers tape. Haven’t tried that fix yet. Thought I’d see if you had resolved your issue first. Thanks in advance.
Disregard my inquiry. Resolved the issue today using a combination of plumbers tape and putty (Oatey Great White brand). No leak—finally!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks