Vent Return/Elbow for fin tube radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
I have identified this fitting which I would like to replace on a fin tube convector because I believe it will work better than the existing vent which vents sideways rather than at the top of the unit. However it costs almost 30 dollars! Is there a fitting like this or a simple elbow tapped for a radiator bleed vent that I can use?

Thanks!

DIY

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Looks like I posted too soon. I see that there is a readily available fitting known as a heating baseboard tee. Any reason this wouldn't work? Why would anyone spend 30 bucks on the slant fin part?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
without knowing specifically exactly which two fittings you're comparing the easy answer is times savings.

The reason that copper replaced galvanized and pex replaced copper. It saves time to install.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks, I thought I posted a link to the slant fin fitting, it's like a copper u bend with a tapping on top for a coin vent. But baseboard tee and a street elbow will do the job for like 8 bucks vs 30. I didn't think of using pex parts, might work, but the baseboard is fin tube copper so it seems like more trouble than it's worth to adapted the end of it for just the vent. Domestic water in this location doesn't allow pex and as result I don't own pex tools yet.

I'm thinking about doing some pex work on long island to plumb a new hose bibb across a long spooky crawlspace and I think a spool of pex could be just the ticket for that job.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Spirovent on the main before main pump with a bladder expansion tank will take care of all the air problems.

You would think, but no dice. It's a four story building and air tends to collect at the radiators on top. I put a caleffi minical on both top floor rads and that stopped them from getting airbound one is still noisy. I think if I could get the vent to the high point on the radiator it would help. I could try to pressurize and purge the system below. I did that at 30 psi, but 50 might work better. The boiler is only rated for 30 psi though.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
For the record, I wasn't suggesting installing PEX in or at the radiator, only pointing out that PEX only exists to save time in installation of most plumbing systems, exactly the reason copper does.

We install Press copper and Megapress gas fittings that cost 10x the amount of solder or threaded fittings. They save on labor cost.

If your time is valuable, the fitting that cost more but saves time is worth the money. If your time is not valuable then building the same or comparable system from many fittings might be worth the time.

As a professional estimator of remodel projects I'm always looking for product and methods that reduce the amount of time spent on a project.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
True but 20 bucks to save one solder joint? It's still a sweat fitting. I totally understand using more expensive fittings to save on labor.

Fitter30

Reaction score
30 lbs of water pressure at the boiler with pumps off = 69.1' of water. 20 lbs = 48' take a few pics of the boiler expansion tank and pumps.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks