LP Gas - Manifolds - WC @ each appliance...?

Users who are viewing this thread

ChuckGM

Reaction score
I had great luck with my first thread yesterday! Let's try this one...
1/2" copper enters house from LP tank. It is marked 2PSI.
Presently it feeds just an oven/stove and then the furnace.
I want to add an on demand H2O heater and a fireplace insert.
Specs. on appliances indicate the following:
stove - manifold pressure 10 wc
fireplace - manifold pressure 10 wc
furnace - I can't find but it's 2 stage 52,000 1st stage/80,000 2nd stage 97% afue
H2O heater - says "manifold .05-.50" (but why is that so different from the regulator pressure which says 8-13 wc?? .......
I could "imagine" a dryer someday but it's not planned...
- Do I "need" a manifold? or should I just add a couple more tees? Does order matter in my case?
Thanks in advance for your input!!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you can build a manifold tees whatever you like. but in any case the system is sized as if it is piping with tees . need to know The length of all piping , the length between each tee and the regualtor at tank. you need to make a plan of what your doing all the lenghts are important if your a foot or 5 feet off dont worry at this pointbut just know that we can figure out what the smallest pipe you could use for the longest sections. so if you provide a length that is less than the actual needed the pipe size may be incorrect. Also need the max btu of each fixture

ChuckGM

Reaction score
you can build a manifold tees whatever you like. but in any case the system is sized as if it is piping with tees . need to know The length of all piping , the length between each tee and the regualtor at tank. you need to make a plan of what your doing all the lenghts are important if your a foot or 5 feet off dont worry at this pointbut just know that we can figure out what the smallest pipe you could use for the longest sections. so if you provide a length that is less than the actual needed the pipe size may be incorrect. Also need the max btu of each fixture
Ok - I believe you're saying it sounds like I will not "need" a manifold... I'll go down and measure things as if I'm just going to use tees. (a manifold would change pipe lengths)... I do wonder if the "order" of appliances will matter because with tees the order will be: H2O heater, stove, fireplace, furnace... - I'll get back to you here in a bit.

ChuckGM

Reaction score
I really appreciate this help. Thank you! ---- So.... Approx. 75 feet from tank to regulator (2psi). (this looks like less than 1/2" copper - 3/8"?) ---Regulator to first tee 28' of 1/2" copper --- Tee to H2O heater (150,000 btu - ) 12' (planning CSST) - Tee to next Tee 1' (1/2" copper) ---Tee to stove (total of all burners/oven is 53,500 btu) 6' of 1/2" copper --- Tee to next Tee 33' of 1/2' CSST - Tee to fireplace (25,000 btu) 24' (1/2" CSST already pulled) - Tee to furnace (1st stage 52,000 btu + 2nd stage 80,000 btu = 142,000 btu (?) (is that how you figure the furnace?) 15' of 1/2" CSST. I think that's it...? (IF I were to dod a manifold set up it would be at position of first tee now so stove and H2O heater would be same but manifold to furnace would be 48 feet and manifold to fireplace would be 57'...). Does that all make sense?

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Sorry - forgot to copy you on this so trying again... I really appreciate this help. Thank you! ---- So.... Approx. 75 feet from tank to regulator (2psi). (this looks like less than 1/2" copper - 3/8"?) ---Regulator to first tee 28' of 1/2" copper --- Tee to H2O heater (150,000 btu - ) 12' (planning CSST) - Tee to next Tee 1' (1/2" copper) ---Tee to stove (total of all burners/oven is 53,500 btu) 6' of 1/2" copper --- Tee to next Tee 33' of 1/2' CSST - Tee to fireplace (25,000 btu) 24' (1/2" CSST already pulled) - Tee to furnace (1st stage 52,000 btu + 2nd stage 80,000 btu = 142,000 btu (?) (is that how you figure the furnace?) 15' of 1/2" CSST. I think that's it...? (IF I were to dod a manifold set up it would be at position of first tee now so stove and H2O heater would be same but manifold to furnace would be 48 feet and manifold to fireplace would be 57'...). Does that all make sense?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
the furnace is 80k btu not 142 If I understand you. It sounds like your planning all of this off a 1/2 inch line over 300 ,ooo btu with out actualy adding it all up . we count the stove as a mininmum 65,000 btu in case it gets changed thats what my code allows as a standard. Your description of the layout still not real clear if you draw it might help but I think youll need toleave the regulator house outside with 1 inch to first tee branch to water heater will also be 1 inch assuming 150k btu 40 foot from w/h to reguator 1 inch continues to tee at stove (stove feed may be 1/2") and at FP (1/2 inch feeds fp) 3/4" rest of way to furnace. pretty simple .

ChuckGM

Reaction score
the furnace is 80k btu not 142 If I understand you. It sounds like your planning all of this off a 1/2 inch line over 300 ,ooo btu with out actualy adding it all up . we count the stove as a mininmum 65,000 btu in case it gets changed thats what my code allows as a standard. Your description of the layout still not real clear if you draw it might help but I think youll need toleave the regulator house outside with 1 inch to first tee branch to water heater will also be 1 inch assuming 150k btu 40 foot from w/h to reguator 1 inch continues to tee at stove (stove feed may be 1/2") and at FP (1/2 inch feeds fp) 3/4" rest of way to furnace. pretty simple .
Okay.... I will work on a drawing to confirm all this - and likely post it tomorrow. (sounds like a lot of $$ :-( ) . Mixing and matching pipe/copper/CSST is all good? And just to double verify, this is all LP not Natural Gas... - (Thanks again for all your help). I'll post tomorrow.

ChuckGM

Reaction score
Okay - I've attached photos of furnace and H2O htr. specs and a third photo of the layout.
Note that it's LP not NG.
Also note that Furnace pipe connection spec. indicates 1/2" and H2O htr. connection indicates 3/4"
On the "map," basically the yellow is existing (all 1/2") -- and the pink are the two appliances I'm adding. - (1/2" CSST is already run to FP).
I'll change out what needs changing out. Let me know what you think.
Thanks VERY much for your thoughts!
Furnace.JPG
H2O.JPG
map.JPG

ChuckGM

Reaction score
and maybe it goes without saying, but the regulator on the outside of the house is the 2nd stage regulator.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 inch all the way to fp tee then 3/4 to furnace . w/h is 1 inch stove and fp branches 1/2 inch. im not sure if your line from propane tank size is sufficent size supplier can verify i would think

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks