Tinning flux vs regular flux

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Leise

Reaction score
I’ve always been taught that you use tinning flux to solder with brass fittings/valves, and you use regular flux paste for just regular copper fittings. I’ve always done it this way and never had any problems, but I was thinking about it and I have no idea why it works like that. Can you use regular flux paste for brass fittings/valves, and vise versa? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FLux keeps oxygen away from the metal that, when you get it super hot to solder something, would easily oxidize if you didn't keep it away with the flux, which could prevent the solder from flowing properly. Plumbing these days requires new versions than those of old, which are easier to burn adn mess up your joint. So, if you're very practiced, you can use any flux and make a good joint. I find that using a tinning one gives you that extra indicator that says the joint is hot enough so you can add your solder. That's not obvious with a non-tinning flux, so you might overheat the joint. As to required, nope. On a heavier valve or fitting, it's easier to overheat, or not get it hot enough, and the 'tin' in the solder gives you a good indication of when it's ready.

Robert Leise

Reaction score
FLux keeps oxygen away from the metal that, when you get it super hot to solder something, would easily oxidize if you didn't keep it away with the flux, which could prevent the solder from flowing properly. Plumbing these days requires new versions than those of old, which are easier to burn adn mess up your joint. So, if you're very practiced, you can use any flux and make a good joint. I find that using a tinning one gives you that extra indicator that says the joint is hot enough so you can add your solder. That's not obvious with a non-tinning flux, so you might overheat the joint. As to required, nope. On a heavier valve or fitting, it's easier to overheat, or not get it hot enough, and the 'tin' in the solder gives you a good indication of when it's ready.
Makes sense, thanks man

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’m slowly learning to appreciate tinning flux. Didn’t touch it for years because of the thickness but I’ve learned to love it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks