Tinning flux vs regular flux

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Robert Leise, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Robert Leise

Robert Leise New Member

I’ve always been taught that you use tinning flux to solder with brass fittings/valves, and you use regular flux paste for just regular copper fittings. I’ve always done it this way and never had any problems, but I was thinking about it and I have no idea why it works like that. Can you use regular flux paste for brass fittings/valves, and vise versa? Thanks

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    FLux keeps oxygen away from the metal that, when you get it super hot to solder something, would easily oxidize if you didn't keep it away with the flux, which could prevent the solder from flowing properly. Plumbing these days requires new versions than those of old, which are easier to burn adn mess up your joint. So, if you're very practiced, you can use any flux and make a good joint. I find that using a tinning one gives you that extra indicator that says the joint is hot enough so you can add your solder. That's not obvious with a non-tinning flux, so you might overheat the joint. As to required, nope. On a heavier valve or fitting, it's easier to overheat, or not get it hot enough, and the 'tin' in the solder gives you a good indication of when it's ready.

Robert Leise likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Robert Leise likes this.
  4. Robert Leise

Robert Leise New Member

Makes sense, thanks man

5. Terry H

Terry H In the Trades

I’m slowly learning to appreciate tinning flux. Didn’t touch it for years because of the thickness but I’ve learned to love it.