Submersible booster pump in a pressure tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

Newman

Reaction score
Anybody know if there’s any submersible booster pumps that are made to be used in a water tank that’s pressurized? I came across a product made in the UK, but can’t find anything similarly in the US.

https://www.scubatank.co.uk/

The driver would be low noise - I’m looking to install one in our crawlspace that’s right under our living room.

Thanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is pretty funny! They won't show that it is just a regular submersible well pump. Look for the same thing done in the US using an aerator tank for iron and sulfur. Any storage tank with a submersible pump will do the same thing. Here is a drawing of one using a larger storage tank, but any size tank will work.
LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Anybody know if there’s any submersible booster pumps that are made to be used in a water tank that’s pressurized? I came across a product made in the UK, but can’t find anything similarly in the US.

https://www.scubatank.co.uk/
Are you sure that tank is pressurized?

I wonder if a multi-stage booster pump would be quieter than what you have.

Newman

Reaction score
Makes more sense that lower tank is not pressurized - it's also available as a two-piece setup where you bolt it together, and can't imagine that's a 80psi world. It sounds like this is to get around flow restrictors they have on the main in the UK, so you have to stockpile your water if you want a large GPM.

Is something like this doable in the US here? Does it even make any sense? It might be more realistic to just revert to a standard pressurized tank + jet pump and invest in building a sound reducing enclosure.

Reach4

Reaction score
A multi-stage centrifugal pump is like a submersible pump in a housing. I don't know how the sound levels compare to a jet pump.

In sound isolation, mass helps -- especially for the low frequency components.

Is the crawl space dirt? If so, you could dig out space, and leave room for sound deadening materials above. A new trap door could make access much easier.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like the drawing I posted, this is done all the time. Jet pump is easier, but makes noise. If you want quite, use a submersible in the storage tank. Here is a pic of a aerator system. But if you want good strong constant pressure use a Cycle Stop Valve like comes in the PK1A kit, which also allows the use of a small pressure tank like in the system you linked. However the system you linked uses an expensive and troublesome Variable Speed Controller or VFD, while the CSV gives the same benefits and a much longer pump life for a fraction of the cost.
aerator system.jpg

Newman

Reaction score
Fantastic help, much appreciated.

Any sellers/manufactureres that are recommended? Reliability is most important. The Cycle Stop Valves definitely sound like the way to go, I prefer making things simpler if at all possible.

And the crawlspace is dirt, so it is possible to dig and then cover, although it's not going to be fun.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Just Google water storage tanks. There are lots of shapes and sizes. You can even get short ones that will fit in the crawl space. If you get a short tank you can lay a submersible on its side, but use a flow inducer shroud and a cradle to lay the pump in.
shroud 3 pics.jpg

Horizontal Bracket for Sub.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks