Wirsbo ProPex Expander Tool & Pex-A - Question

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
I am about to use a Milwaukee ProPex expansion tool on some 1/2" # 3/4" Pex-A.

For the 1/2", Wirsbo says to click the gun 3 times, until it is bottomed out on the tool. A Plumber I know told me 6 - 8 clicks is what he does, although Wirsbo says more than 3 clicks could stretch the pipe and it might not shrink back far enough - which could cause leaks.

I don't seem to be "fast enough" to put the tool down, pick up the T or L, and get them shoved in before the pex starts to shrink. With 6-8 clicks I have a second more to play with, but I don't want leaks if 6-8 is too many clicks.

What's your experience?

Thanks for the help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wouldn't worry about it. I've been using one and didn't even know they cared how many clicks there were. I like using the expander tool with Uponor. It's way nicer than the manual expansion tool they had.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
The tool is great, but the PEX closes so fast, I am having trouble setting the tool down, grabbing the part, and getting it into the expanded hole "in time". Can you expand the pipe and collar more than once, or should I throw away the collar and cut the hose back?

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have a drip, you can warm the ring with a propane torch and shrink it it a little.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
When you insert the PEX onto the cone shaped expander it will only go on about 1/3 the way, then you squeeze the handles to expand the tube and release the handles and slide the PEX tube another 1/3 onto the cone, then release the handles, after the second time you will be able to slide the tube all the way onto the tool (over the flat shoulders of the expander cone). The third time the tube is expanded the tube will be stretched to the max. At this point I usually hold the handles together (keeping tune expanded) until I have the fitting ready to install. When everything is ready and lined up I remove the tool and insert the tube onto fitting.
I can get about 3 or 4 seconds before the tube shrinks back to where you can't get it on a fitting.

I didn't know about the propane troch tip. Thanks.

MKS

Reaction score
You might consider taking the tool to a big box store and try to find a tool belt that has a pouch big enough for the expander or a hammer ring to hang the tool on. Then put the fittings in a pouch on the opposite side. You also could try holding the fitting in the same hand as the pipe being expanded.

Last edited:

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I doubt you will ever need to heat anything - but its good to know you can.
The ProPEX works really good. I've never had a connection leak (but I'm a DIYer so probably only made about 100 connections in my life).
I use the plastic fittings for the 90s and Tees. I use the brass fittings wherever I need it to thread into something (i.e. one end has NTP threads).

RogerPDX

Reaction score
1.) Once the Uponor band is shrunk and tight, is it ok to twist an "L" into place it it's a bit out of angle?

Also,, I have some copper / brass connections that I want to leave, but the brass is not the Uponor design. I 'had' PEX-B clamped to those fittings with RTI's airplane hose clamps like these from Sharkbite: http://www.homedepot.com/s/sharkbite%201%2F2%22%20clamps?NCNI-5

2.) On PEX-B those clamps work fine.
Will they work fine with PEX-A?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
1) Once the tubing is shrunk, you can't rotate the fitting (I just made up a piece to double check before posting. Well maybe you could if you used pliers). When you expand the PEX tubing you have just a few seconds to inset the fitting, but you still have 30 seconds or so that the fitting can be rotated. After the 30 seconds the fitting will not rotate at all (by hand).

2) You can use clamping rings on PEX-A tubing (i.e. Uponor AquaPEX) see this chart http://www.supplyhouse.com/PEX-Tubing-516000

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Sorry - click on the "Comparison Guide" tab on that link.

It also says:
As the chart available in this help section illustrates, all types of tubing may be used with the crimp, clamp, press, or compression fitting systems. However, only AquaPEX can be used with the Wirsbo Expander System.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Sorry - click on the "Comparison Guide" tab on that link.

It also says:
As the chart available in this help section illustrates, all types of tubing may be used with the crimp, clamp, press, or compression fitting systems. However, only AquaPEX can be used with the Wirsbo Expander System.

Can I use Rehau Raupex tubing with the Uponor Expander Tool and Band?
I bought all Uponor blue & red 1/2, but need a 6" section of 3/4" Blue. A Plumber gave me a scrap of Rehau Raupex tubing and said "it's all the same".

What do you think?

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
According to Uponor, only the ProPEX (AquaPEX) hose can be used with the Expander Tool. You can use the Rehau tubing in the same system but use a crimp ring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Only pex-A can be used with the expansion fittings. Types -b and -c do not have the same characteristics (they're not as flexible, not cross-linked as much, and don't have as much memory) and require crimps or clamps to seal. So, in theory, at least, if it's a type-a pex, you could use expansion fittings.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks