Where should toilet be vented

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Vinniejt76, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

My original plan was to run a 3in Tee up for my toilet drain, so the 3inch could continue out the back of the 90 and up the wall behind for the vent..BUT... to keep the proper fall from the drain I only have about 3inches which forces the top of that tee at the floor level where my flange goes. There for I would have to use an inside closte flange. Since i would like to use the bigger outside flange I considered the 3 to 4inch 90...which allows the 4inch opening at the floor for the bigger flange, but they dont have a tee which allows the 3inch vent to continue out the back. Now to my question....would be okay to run the vent from a wye off the line IN FRONT of the 90 for my flange?
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Regardless of where you install the vent, no part of it may be horizontal.
  3. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

Good call President McCain.
  4. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Homer for President:D

Can't tell much from the post but I got a picture of a flat vent in my head. If he sent a drawing it might be easier. Then again, maybe he's from Mass and they let you flat vent there for some unknown reason.
  5. Master Plumber 101

Master Plumber 101 In the Trades

I agree, the vent for the water closet should be above the spring line of horizontal section of pipe if it's a dry vent. If it's a wet vent that's a different situation.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

Your problem is that you seem to think that your original premise is correct and thus need a fitting to make it work. The way you want to do it, will insure that when the toilet flushes the water will bypass the downward pipe and go into the "vent" eventually plugging it up. Once you decide to do it properly, the proper fittings will be self evident. The 4x3 spigot riser closet bend will usually be the best option once you get everything sorted out.
  7. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

This was my original plan sorry for the crude drawing. Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. I used this design because its what my other toilet has. I'm also running the drain for the sink parallel to this drain and up the wall like in this pick and then tieing them together to the vent to the roof. Is this wrong?

Attached Files:

8. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

another more complete picture

Attached Files:

9. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The vent needs to be down stream.
    How it is drawn will not work.

In that situation, I use a 3x2 wye and 45 downstream of the closet flange, and run the vent toward the wall. I make sure that the wye is rolled up slightly so that the vent is above the flow line of the waste line.

Or some places would allow you to use a 2" waste line and vent for the lav and it would double as the wet vent for the toilet.
  10. Vinniejt76

Vinniejt76 New Member

Thanks. I think I can use the wet vent thru the lav. I was going to originally do that, but I think I'll vent it with the wye just to be safe. Thanks a lot.
  11. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Neither of those drawings will meet code. Both are showing flat vents.
  12. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

:eek::eek::eek:
    What you talking about?
  13. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Yes, Mass let's you flat vent. Probably had something to do with a pay off years ago. :D
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

drain

I guess the place to start is that you cannot use a tee for the toilet that way. If you use a Y-1/8 vend AND connect the sink to the toilet vent it will work, but would not be my first choice as far as layout is concerned.
  15. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Without sounding antagonistic, you don't seem to have a grasp of proper drainage and venting procedures and should most probably hire a licensed plumber before you get in over your head. You would hate to break up all that concrete, cut into the mainline and have it all be wrong when the inspector looks at it only to have to tear it all out and do it over again.