Mistake : Wye instead of Tee for washroom sink drain

Users who are viewing this thread

naimc

Reaction score
Continuing on my washroom reno, from previous thread : https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-sink-tie-in-to-show-drain.107247/post-763794

At the point where the 2" drain meets the vent in 1-1/2" I used a Wye for the sink drain. I was distracted by vent routing and fail on this basic joint.

1704469833356.png

Now thinking of the sheet rock that will go up I realize that I should have use a 90 degree Tee correct ? as the wye would not allow proper venting because of the 45 degree angle ?

Part I should use ?
634079_1_634079_WH_v1_54f5.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Correct, that should be a San Tee to comply with code for venting a trap arm.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely best to swap out for a san-tee.

However, as the trap arm is so short, the wye might possibly comply with the trap weir rule. Basically, the question is this: as a thought exercise, if you were to plug the vertical drain just below the wye, and slowly added water above the plug, which would happen first: (a) the water level hits the "crotch" of the wye, cutting off air communication between the top entry and the side entry of the wye or (b) the water spills over into the u-bend of the trap.

If (a) would happen first, then you definitely need to change it to a san-tee, as that creates the conditions for siphoning the trap. If (b) would happen first, you should still change it to a san-tee, but depending on the details of the Canadian Plumbing Code, it may or may not be a violation as is.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks