what are some tricks to tighten chrome/nickel etc pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by bbillcee, Feb 20, 2011.

1. bbillcee

bbillcee New Member

i see some guys use a pipe wrench close to the wall behind finish plates, duct tape around the pipe, what do u pro's do?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If it's a shower head, I attach the shower head, and then I can hand turn it,
    I can hand turn tub spouts, I Have never needed anything else.
    And shutoff valves normally have flat sides on them for a smooth jaw wrench.

Most plumbers are strong enough to do most of these things without tools, therefore saving the finish on your fittings.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Never used duck tape but have used electrical tape. Sometimes I use a rubber strap wrench. On something like a tub spout, I may put a screwdriver handle or wood dowel in the outlet for extra leverage. On something like a wall union, I will use an allen key of the right size in the outlet to get leverage.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unless you use a strap wrench and rosin, there is almost no way to prevent wrench marks on finished surfaces. Usually, I tighten a nipple by turning the fitting on the other end of it.
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I have had some success padding the surface with an old rag, then gripping and turning.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

When you wrap a pipe with anything before tightening it, the force you apply is limited to whatever the material will hold until it starts to slip, and that may NOt be enough to prevent leaking.
  7. Beantown Plumber

Beantown Plumber Business owner, Plumbing Tech.

I have a set of internal pipe wrenches that I use all the time. Theese things are very handy, and perfect for chrome. They leave no marks at all because they bite on the inside.
  8. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Piece of slit heavy hose clipped over the pipe and channel locks.
  9. ilya

ilya In the Trades

Beantown, I love internal wrenches but can't find good ones that last. Got a good brand name for me? Thanks!